Rumrunners-- do they work or have you been sent to the naughty room?

moonlitmagik

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, but I really haven't seen a difinitive yes or no. most of the answers i've seen are 50/50 either one way or the other. Now, i'm not going to go buy say an expensive bottle of cristal and try to pour it into the rum runner (mainly because it will be FLAT) but I'm talking like some cheapo rum or vodka. No dark liquors (can't stomach them). I am also prepared for flames with my flame retardant suit... but really, we can afford the cruise but I'll be damned on principal alone am I going to pay 5 dollars for a BUDWEISER which IMHO is the worst beer on the market. And if they charge 5 dollars for that swill, I can only imagine what they charge for a typical screwdriver not even made with top shelf stuff.

And not only that, but I don't want to feel like if I drink more than three a day, my bar tab is going to reach the 100 dollar plus range rather quickly. It's not like we want to be wasted, but I'm a "Self Serve" kinda person. And not like we drink like fishes, but I hear drinks are spendy. I want to be prepared in the event I might want a little something.

So... have you gotten caught using a rum runner? I would think since they're plastic the xray machine would probably see right through it. My idea was to put it in my bookbag carry on in it's hidden secret zippy pouch compartment, and in the "common" area have like a 6 pack of water or some sodas. If they ask if I have alcohol, just show them the bottled water and walk aboard ship like the cat's pyjamas. Obviously, on deck you might see me with my insulated mug with coke (and rum in it no doubt)!

Many reports from rum runner users on the Money Saving Tips board.

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, but I really haven't seen a difinitive yes or no. most of the answers i've seen are 50/50 either one way or the other. Now, i'm not going to go buy say an expensive bottle of cristal and try to pour it into the rum runner (mainly because it will be FLAT) but I'm talking like some cheapo rum or vodka. No dark liquors (can't stomach them). I am also prepared for flames with my flame retardant suit... but really, we can afford the cruise but I'll be damned on principal alone am I going to pay 5 dollars for a BUDWEISER which IMHO is the worst beer on the market. And if they charge 5 dollars for that swill, I can only imagine what they charge for a typical screwdriver not even made with top shelf stuff.

And not only that, but I don't want to feel like if I drink more than three a day, my bar tab is going to reach the 100 dollar plus range rather quickly. It's not like we want to be wasted, but I'm a "Self Serve" kinda person. And not like we drink like fishes, but I hear drinks are spendy. I want to be prepared in the event I might want a little something.

So... have you gotten caught using a rum runner? I would think since they're plastic the xray machine would probably see right through it. My idea was to put it in my bookbag carry on in it's hidden secret zippy pouch compartment, and in the "common" area have like a 6 pack of water or some sodas. If they ask if I have alcohol, just show them the bottled water and walk aboard ship like the cat's pyjamas. Obviously, on deck you might see me with my insulated mug with coke (and rum in it no doubt)!

Right or wrong aside, I've never seen a post where someone said they were caught with rumrunners. But obviously, I haven't seen them all. X-Ray machines pick up any liquid. Just because it's a clear liquid doesn't mean it will not show up. The shape of the rumrunners has probably been the reason most are able to smuggle successfully.

Ok.. I'm going to ask this.. and before I do.. I know some people will think I am just trying to be funny.. We don't drink that much (maybe three alcoholic beverages per cruise each) so we don't bother to "sneak" it onboard. So I am asking this very honestly, as I just don't know. Could you put some in one of those heavy duty ziptop bags.. like real heavy ones, and put that in your suitcase like right before you get to the pier? Would that show up on xray? Like if it were laid flat in the suitcase, would that show up as anything other than a ziptop bag?

Ok.. I'm going to ask this.. and before I do.. I know some people will think I am just trying to be funny.. We don't drink that much (maybe three alcoholic beverages per cruise each) so we don't bother to "sneak" it onboard. So I am asking this very honestly, as I just don't know. Could you put some in one of those heavy duty ziptop bags.. like real heavy ones, and put that in your suitcase like right before you get to the pier? Would that show up on xray? Like if it were laid flat in the suitcase, would that show up as anything other than a ziptop bag?

Why don't you fill one with water and try it on your next cruise and let us know. Might turn out to be a good advertisement for GLAD or whichever brand you use.

Terry ~ An X-Ray machine shows any liquid as a green color. It doesn't matter what the liquid is in, it will show up green. I have a hard time finding a true non-leak ziploc bag even for my fridge! I doubt the outcome would be successful in luggage.

Or, if you just want to bring on clear liquor, buy a 6-pack of bottled water, dump a couple, and fill with liquid of choice.....solid (not clear) bottles of listerine (rinsed very well) will do the trick for colored liquids...just be sure to put cap on tightly.

Terry ~ An X-Ray machine shows any liquid as a green color. It doesn't matter what the liquid is in, it will show up green. I have a hard time finding a true non-leak ziploc bag even for my fridge! I doubt the outcome would be successful in luggage.

Very true.. guess it was a stupid idea.. LOL.. but I would bet money someone where has tried it. ehehhehe

I March on the Dawn we packed some box wine in the suitcase --- took the "bladder" out of the box, and sealed it in one of the larger Glad zip locks. No problem, and the bladder then fit in the cabin refer (whereas in the box it would not). For hard liquour, we did the room Bar Setup because they offered the brands that we wanted.

I am sure that NCl now knows what a rum runner looks like in x-ray, and has taught its staff what to look for. I would not put it on top of your pile of clothes in your bag, put it in the middle and maybe with one or two coiled belts on top of it to make things confusing on x-ray.

Problem is if the luggage is set aside for the naughty room, a rum runner is an obvious intent to "smuggle", and you are not likely to be cut much slack.

I have to smile when I read some of these posts...the cost of drinks in Europe [bars,restaurants etc ] is often considerably more than what is charged on NCL. If you intend eating/drinking off shop when on trips to Europe be prepared for some large bills.

Just returned from a cruise on the Magesty where I used the Rum Runner, which I learned about from Cruise Critic. I had no problem at all. I was suprised how inexpensive it was, so really why risk a Glad bag. I do not drink alot either, but at $7-$8 a drink this was the most econmical choice.

ok i got the idea but exactly what is a rum runner and where do you get it. Can I sneak wine aboard the Dawn

rumrunnerflasks.com ~ you don't need to sneak on wine. Bring as much as you want. There is a $15 corkage fee for each bottle. You'll pay at check-in. The price will be added to your onboard charge account.

If you opt to bring a box or a big bottle, you may pay more. It just depends on the steward you encounter.

does anybody know whether or not they XRay your body? as in, if the flask was in say.. the pocket of my hubs' cargo shorts, they would see the "bright green" that any fluid turns color on xray, or would we be able to hide them on our persons since those don't go through xray?

does anybody know whether or not they XRay your body? as in, if the flask was in say.. the pocket of my hubs' cargo shorts, they would see the "bright green" that any fluid turns color on xray, or would we be able to hide them on our persons since those don't go through xray?

No xray of your body. :)

We just got back Thursday from the Mexican Riviera. We did the 11 night cruise on the Sun. We took two 32 oz rum runners with us. They went through without a hitch. I had two bottles of wine in my carry-on, which I fully intended to pay the corkage fee on. They were noticed by the person manning the scanner, she told the person who actually does the searching that there were bottles in my carry-on. I told her that I intended to pay the corkage fee on them. She pulled my bag aside and I thought someone would be coming to collect the fee. All of a sudden she handed me back the bag, winked at me, and said, "your bottles of water are cleared, you can go and have a great cruise." The funny thing is...we never opened the wine as we received two bottles as gifts onboard! We brought them home again with us. LOL

Kristy

I'll be flying from portland (OR) to FLL, I really don't want to have to put wine in my luggage! number one, it probably will NOT make the trip unless i have it bubble wrapped and boxed, and number two, if it's in my suitcase and I can't get clothes in my suitcase I really don't think i'm going to pay to check FOUR bags (my 2 and my hub's 2) I'm trying to pack light. I'd do better to buy whatever I needed in fort lauderdale huh lol.

So when you step through those things like they have at the airports that you walk through what are those, just metal detectors? I thought they xrayed your body for bombs or whatnot?

Archived