Majahual questions?

Cruisin' R.N.

This is our first time in Costa Maya. We may be intersted in Majahual. Can anyone enlighten us abit? Is this a town, a beach, or? What is there to do there? Anyone have pics? We are a family of 4...DH, DD's x 2 and myself. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. :rolleyes:

Costa Maya is a manufactured port - shopping, pool, restaurant, bar. The little fishing village of Majuhaul is just south of the port. It is a 10 minute cab ride away and is being rebuilt after hurricane Dean destroyed both the port and the town. When we were there, we by-passed the port and caught a cab to the village. We spent the day relaxing at the beach and enjoying some fresh seafood. First cruises return later this month. In the meantime --

Try these links:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=811826

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=784965

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=781480

We had a wonderful day in Costa Maya before the hurricane hit it dead on two years ago. We will be going back in Dec. on Independence of the Seas. Supposedly the new pier can handle three ships at a time. It will be interesting to see the updates in the fishing village of Majahual.

We had two visits to Costa Maya before it was hit by Hurricane Dean. The people were lovely, the port area was well set up with swimming pools, lounge chairs, even hammocks at no charge. Food and drinks were good and prices reasonable. My DH went on a horse-riding excursion and followed that up with a massage by the beach. I strolled around Majahual taking pictures and browsing. Felt so bad for the people who suffered such great losses due to Hurricane Dean.

Looking forward to going back in January 2010. Pre-hurricane photos in the link below.

Kathy

Because each family is different if is difficult to suggest an activity that would keep everyone happy. Also it would depend on your sense of adventure. Are you willing to go off on your own or do you feel the need to do a ship sponsored tour? Personally one of the reasons I love Costa Maya is because of the laid back non touristy feel. For me sitting on the beach having a couple drinks and a big plate of ceviche is ideal. I personally would not spend a dime in the port area but that is because of my dislike for the owner.

For those that love ceviche please remember that conch season is from October 1 - June 30. To order ceviche out of season contributes to the illegal harvesting and the severely depleted conch population.

If you have never done so before and depending on the other ports you make I would suggest a visit to one of the ruins.

Whatever you decide I am sure you will have an excellent time.

Because each family is different if is difficult to suggest an activity that would keep everyone happy. Also it would depend on your sense of adventure. Are you willing to go off on your own or do you feel the need to do a ship sponsored tour? Personally one of the reasons I love Costa Maya is because of the laid back non touristy feel. For me sitting on the beach having a couple drinks and a big plate of ceviche is ideal. I personally would not spend a dime in the port area but that is because of my dislike for the owner.

For those that love ceviche please remember that conch season is from October 1 - June 30. To order ceviche out of season contributes to the illegal harvesting and the severely depleted conch population.

If you have never done so before and depending on the other ports you make I would suggest a visit to one of the ruins.

Whatever you decide I am sure you will have an excellent time.

Cat, isn't ceviche any raw fish/shellfish "cooked" in a citrus juice?

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Sorry about that.

Yes, ceviche can be made with just about any seafood. Most if not all of what you find in Mahahual is conch, octopus, shrimp or a mix of all three. For me I only eat conch ceviche because I'm not big on octopus and shrimp is not native to the area and is trucked in.

Hi Kathy,

Sorry about that.

Yes, ceviche can be made with just about any seafood. Most if not all of what you find in Mahahual is conch, octopus, shrimp or a mix of all three. For me I only eat conch ceviche because I'm not big on octopus and shrimp is not native to the area and is trucked in.

Thanks Cat. Don't think I would want octopus or conch ceviche at any time. :eek: LOL.

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the great information. I am soooo looking forward to our trip in April. We were supposed to go to Costa Maya in Feb. 08, but obviously, we went somewhere else. My heart went out to all the people due to all the hurricane damage.

OK, so here's my question: How do you pronounce Majahual? Thanks.

Thank you for all the great information. I am soooo looking forward to our trip in April.

OK, so here's my question: How do you pronounce Majahual? Thanks.

I'm not an English/ Spanish expert but my understanding was Mah-Ha-who-al. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I hope you love this town as much as I did. This was my cheapest and friendliest port day to date. We took a $4 taxi ride, got a beach chair in front of the Cat's Meow [sadly no longer there after the hurricane] and had some of the best food and drinks around. We shopped at some local shops, met some really nice people and enjoyed the beach. It was just such a nice relaxing day, but if we wanted there was jet-ski's and other activities. It was a far cry from the actual port of Costa Maya, which was just a manufactured port with all the typical stores. This certainly isn't putting down the port- it is very nice and had a great pool, but the town of Majahual was equivalent to visiting a real small Mexican town. I know it will never be the same after the hurricane, but I'm hoping for their residents and visitors that it will maintain it's small town charm.

I'm not an English/ Spanish expert but my understanding was Mah-Ha-who-al. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I hope you love this town as much as I did. This was my cheapest and friendliest port day to date. We took a $4 taxi ride, got a beach chair in front of the Cat's Meow [sadly no longer there after the hurricane] and had some of the best food and drinks around. We shopped at some local shops, met some really nice people and enjoyed the beach. It was just such a nice relaxing day, but if we wanted there was jet-ski's and other activities. It was a far cry from the actual port of Costa Maya, which was just a manufactured port with all the typical stores. This certainly isn't putting down the port- it is very nice and had a great pool, but the town of Majahual was equivalent to visiting a real small Mexican town. I know it will never be the same after the hurricane, but I'm hoping for their residents and visitors that it will maintain it's small town charm.

I'm told it's very close - 'Ma - ha - wall'. :D

I'm sad to hear about the Cat's Meow! We were supposed to go to Costa Maya in Jan. 06, but due to high swells we were cancelled 10 miles out. Had been planning on going to Cat's Meow then, and had hoped to do so in Jan. 09, but I guess it's a pipe dream now. :(

• 2 weeks later...

when we were there last, 2 or 3 yrs. ago?, we met the sweet lady that owned The Cat's Meow. She said she was starting to have a bed & breakfast built, but was having lots of problems with bribes and permits. Sounded like she was getting pretty frustrated. I believe she said her and her husband retired there. So sorry to hear her dreams were wiped out. We'll be back there on 12/7 and looking forward too it!!!!

Archived