QM2 Britannia Dining Room Questions

J Cruise

We will be on the QM2 in a few weeks, Britannia class. The Britannia Dining Room received many terrible reviews during the early cruises for extremely slow service, food and other things. However, we have not seen much from recent cruisers. Have things changed? Would appreciate hearing from those that have been on recent cruises as to whether the food and service have improved. Also, can any of you give any suggestions as to the best place to try to be seated for a table of six - downstairs, upstairs, closer to galley for faster service, center, sides, or where? Can you enter the dining room from either level? Any answers or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

We were on the QM2 seven months ago. We did not experience the problems in the Britannia dining room that some people reported. We had late seating and felt things were more relaxed with better service at the late seating. You can enter the Britannia from two levels. If for any reason after your first dinner in the Britannia you are unhappy with the service or the location, I would suggest that you ask to be changed to a different table. Many people feel the tables in the center of the room near the captain's table are the best location. Some people feel that area is quite noisy and find it hard to converse. We were on the third level and found it very quiet. Our waiter and assistant waiter were excellent and we received great service. Enjoy your cruise. The QM2 is a wonderful ship with much to offer.

Last March we were on the top level next to the escalator which leads to the Galley and it was somewhat noisy (they kept the door open to expedite service) and then for our transatlantic crossing on May 1, we requested an Officer's table on the first floor and had a wonderful time (perhaps having an officer at the table meant better service?)

We were on the QM2 last month to Canada and were not happy with the Britannia Dining Room. Service was uneven at best. Sometimes incredibly slow, sometimes acceptable. Once, after 2 1/2 hours, skipped dessert in order to get to the show. Food was only mediocre to good, with limited entre and soup selections - lots of fish. It cannot compare to the excellent food and service we received on the Holland American Rotterdam last July. Cunard has a long way to go to live up to the preceived "British Elegence" of the QM2.

I was one of those who posted about poor service in BRDR last May and will be sailing on a much longer cruise this Saturday on QM2. Cunard Guest Relations has told me that we can expect to find things much better and they really do seem to be going out of their way to help and welcome us back on the ship.

Our friends Terry and Loretta (Terrance Richards on this site were on the first Sept Canada cruise and were pleased with the service in the DR (although like anyone used to single seating in Caronia/Grill they did not care for open seating at breakfast and dinner).

When I return, will post how the service was experienced now. Which sailing are you on?

Jeanne

Jeanne S,

We are on the 11-16 cruise, so it looks like you get off a few hours before we get on for a repeat of the same cruise. To bad we can't get advice from you when you return about the whole trip, but we won't be able to read your post in time (and would not expect you to post it from the ship at 50 cents per minute). Have a great cruise and enjoy the islands.

EatsAllInsects,

Where are the Officer's tables? Are they the ones in the center of the room where imacruizer says the Captain's table is located?

P. S. I hope your screen name is not indicative of the food in Britannia.

J Cruise, I "think" all the officer's tables are on the first floor. We were at the Chief Engineer's table which was 2 over from the Captain's table, which is in the very center in front of the large tapestry hanging.

"eatsallinsects" stands for my 3 initials (smile)!

Archived