Alcohol

ussanchorage

Hi Everybody

We will be taking our first cruise on POA 11/21/04. We will have our 3 children with us, age 21,22,24. As you can see by their ages, we will want to know the law in regards to alcohol. Can you drink on the beach, in cars, in cabs, walking down a street, etc?

Also, so that our trip doesn't cost us an arm and a leg, would we be better off using a cab or renting a car? My oldest son a navy vet (& a member of the Navy sea and rescue/rec) and the others want to surf, scuba and snorkel- so we will be looking for those activties and equipment to rent. Should my oldest bring his wet suits?

Thanks again for a great website.

ussanchorage

Legally you can't drink in vehicles, parks, public places, etc. (including beaches). That's upheld pretty generally although the police will often tolerate "discreet" drinking at a beach or park BBQ ("Discreet" being the key - no obnoxious behavior, no obvious containers exposed). Bars are open till either 2 or 4 AM depending on the type of license they have - 4AM "cabaret" licenses require live entertainment and are the exception rather than the rule (the occasional nightclub and most strip bars). You can buy alcoholic beverages in convenience stores, supermarkets, etc.

Oh Oahu, cab fares are pretty high if you're going more than a couple of miles. Assuming you're staying in Waikiki (or even commuting back & forth to the ship), I'd probably rent a car to go other places on the island for the activities you describe (Enterprise usually has good rates and even better ones if you have an Entertainment Book). The caveat is that you'll be here in late November which means we're starting winter weather. That means possible high surf (not for amateurs or even some pros) on the north and west shores (where the best diving is also found) - check conditions when you get here. You should be able to snorkel in Hanauma Bay and SCUBA somewhere with a guide (or at least guidance) from a shop. Renting snorkel & SCUBA gear is easy; surfboards (outside Waikiki) are a bit more problematic since you have to have a way to transport them.

In addition to what Ka Honu said (which I agree with), I would add that you can dive with just a T-shirt or barechested (assuming you're male :D) in Hawaii. But most people would find that a little cold so you may want to bring a shorty wetsuit or a dive skin if you have one. You're certainly not going to need a full one.

Spleen

Archived