Cheap things to do in Belize?

feirlin

Need some advice here for Belize City. The budget is tight so $50 dollar plus excursions are too much for me. What can one do for cheap in Belize City?

I do like the beach and snorkeling. I also like ruins. Can I arrange something independent for myself that would be inexpensive?

So far the cheapest thing I have seen is going to the marine terminal (how close is this to the cruise port?) and taking a roundtrip water taxi to Caulker's Cay for 15.00. But even then I dont know if its possible to walk to the marine terminal from the cruise terminal and walk from the drop off point at Caulkers to good swimming and snorkeling.

Any advice from the do-it-yourselfers out there?

Thanks!

You can do it. That is exactly what we did on our first trip to Belize. As you arrive at the tender pier, head straight to the back of the building, out the back and thru the gate. Make a left and it is about a 15 minute walk to the "CAYE CALKER WATER TAXI". You will be approached by many locals looking to sell to you. Most will take a firm "no thanx". You purchase your tickets at the terminal. The ride to Caye Caulker is about an hour. It is a neat trip the first time. When you arrive on Caye Caulker the GOOD swimming is at the Split. The Lazy Lizard is right there for a couple drinks. You can take the 20 minute walk to the split, along the beach and see most of Caye Caulker. or at the pier will be Golf Cart Taxis, waiting for you. Most seat 4 or 5 and the cost is about $5-6us each way. per taxi not per peron, so make friends on the water taxi.

Depending on What water taxi you catch you will have 2-3 hours on Caye Caulker.

SOME TIPS..

Get off the ship as soon as you can....Try and catch the first water taxi you can.

Check the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association's web site for the schedule. If you miss one you may be able to check out the area around the terminal.

Dont give anyone outside your bags. If you have large bags they will collect them at the boat.

Bring water!! for the walk and boat ride.

Bring your own snorkel gear.

dont stop in the shops at the cruise ship area until you return. You are sure to have time when you return and the prices are higher than out of the gates.

GO SLOW!

Archived