Windstar now charging for Papeete day room? What's up with that?

SB_Travlr

I had an unpleasant surprise last week -- my TA sent me a copy of a fax she received from Windstar on 10/25, part of which states: "Please be advised that complimentary day rooms/hospitality rooms will no longer be available beginning November 5, 2004." (They do um, generously (!), offer that we can pre-purchase a day room for $90 per person, which includes transfers.) :mad:

I am mystified by this change in their policy so close to our sailing day (11/26). We have all our docs and tickets, everything is paid for and should be all set. Isn't that a contract, binding arrangements on both sides? (Maybe you can tell I'm not a lawyer.) What kind of marketing genius decided it would be worth annoying their clients for a grand total of the 8 or 9 sailings that remain before they leave FP for Costa Rica? We were pleased as Windstar alums to get a cabin credit as a token of their appreciation -- and now all but $10 of that will be used up for day room charges? Are they nuts?

I called my TA, and her reaction was much like mine. I'm emailing her my comments, which she will forward with her agency's comments supporting my opinion (they sell a lot of W-star business). We do want a day room, but we don't appreciate being held captive for the decision. :mad:

So who else got one of these w-grams? What is your reaction?

$90 per person sounds very high for a day room even in Tahiti. A lot of the hotels can double book rooms anyway since people arriving in the wee hours reserve the previous night so the room will be available at 4 or 5 a.m. Your TA can probably get you a better deal independently. That is poor marketing to change the plan less than 30 days before departure.

I had an unpleasant surprise last week -- my TA sent me a copy of a fax she received from Windstar on 10/25, part of which states: "Please be advised that complimentary day rooms/hospitality rooms will no longer be available beginning November 5, 2004." (They do um, generously (!), offer that we can pre-purchase a day room for $90 per person, which includes transfers.) :mad:

I am mystified by this change in their policy so close to our sailing day (11/26). We have all our docs and tickets, everything is paid for and should be all set. Isn't that a contract, binding arrangements on both sides? (Maybe you can tell I'm not a lawyer.) What kind of marketing genius decided it would be worth annoying their clients for a grand total of the 8 or 9 sailings that remain before they leave FP for Costa Rica? We were pleased as Windstar alums to get a cabin credit as a token of their appreciation -- and now all but $10 of that will be used up for day room charges? Are they nuts?

I called my TA, and her reaction was much like mine. I'm emailing her my comments, which she will forward with her agency's comments supporting my opinion (they sell a lot of W-star business). We do want a day room, but we don't appreciate being held captive for the decision. :mad:

So who else got one of these w-grams? What is your reaction?

Windstar did the same thing to us on our June/July Wind Star 14 day Marquesas cruise this year, so this is not new policy to us. Be advised, also, that when you check in at the Sheraton, the desk people there will tell you that you have to vacate your room by 6:00 pm. while the transport to the airport is scheduled to leave at 7:30 pm. Don't vacate. We stayed in our room until we left for the airport.

Enjoy your cruise!

:p Just heard from my TA -- she has a fax from Windstar saying, amongst other things, that they "re-evaluated the decision" (I should think so!) and will now offer complimentary dayroom service, effective immediately. :D

That's more like it! I imagine they heard from quite a few TAs -- the decision just made no sense in building customer loyalty.

:p Just heard from my TA -- she has a fax from Windstar saying, amongst other things, that they "re-evaluated the decision" (I should think so!) and will now offer complimentary dayroom service, effective immediately. :D

That's more like it! I imagine they heard from quite a few TAs -- the decision just made no sense in building customer loyalty.

Glad it worked out for you. Have a great trip!

We got our Docs yesterday for the 11/26 sailing. There is no mention of the day room. DH contacted our TA today and her response was everyone gets the day room. Now I think I will contact her again and make sure she checks on it.

Thanks for the heads up.

My wife is 'Cobol-Pat'. I just contacted our travel agent, here is her response:

Just spoke with Ina at Windstar. No charge for the dayroom - they thought about doing it, realized it was going to be an issue and are keeping them free.....for now. Future sailings (NOT YOURS!!!) may be affected!

Archived