Haines: Our story in picture form:

SEPyle

We had a great day in Haines on our Southbound cruise on the Volendam. We had a super day and enjoyed this 'new-to-us' destination in Alaska!

Haines is a small town without all the T-Shirt shops and big jewelry stores, which was a big plus to us!

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

http://picasaweb.google.com/TASharon1/HainesAlaska2008#

We were in Haines on August 20th which was a beautiful day! When were you there? We enjoyed our time in Haines!

We were in Haines the same day. I thought it might be the case because of the beautiful sunshine in your pictures. Had we known beforehand we could have said "hello".

We enjoyed our time there as well...it was a perfect day for a leisurely float trip through the bald eagle preserve. Toured the town as well. Chuck West, the founder of Cruise West, had a home here when he was alive. I'm reading "If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name" by Heather Lende. An interesting perspective on life in Haines.

Great pictures of our boat, much better than ours. Thanks for your postings, they're a lot of fun.

Great post and pictures - thanks. I'm always discouraged to see people with Haines as a port of call, posting queeries about how to get over to Skagway. There is lots to do in and around Haines, and it is the least busy port of call for the mass market ships in that part of Alaska.

robinsegg, I so agree. I love the fact that Haines is not crouded with many ships in port and full of imported jewelry shops.

With that said, I am a real believer in what's right for me isn't right for everyone. So with that said: If some are on ships that visit Haines, and they have priorities to do an excursion in Skagway, then that's right for them.

Haines is very picturesque and the scenery outside town is beautiful. Of course I also love Icy Strait/Hoonah, which is similar to Haines in that both are smaller towns (Hoonah smaller than Haines); Tlingit Native roots; and beautiful scenery! To me a perfect combination. To me a perfect cruise would include Sitka; Icy Strait; and Haines!

Thanks to both you and kk-1 for nice comments. By the way, kk-1, if you want a pic of your Cruise West ship, let me know. I'll be happy to email it to you.

Sepyle what beautiful pics of haines. I agree with you that the perfect cruise would be Sitka, Haines and icy Strait. Now I have been to Icy Strait and Sitka but not Haines yet. Been to Alaska 6 times and have never made it toa there and truly want to go. I will someday. Again thanks for sharing those great pics.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

It sounds to me we have similiar priorities when visiting Alaska! Don and I were just talking this morning that hopefully we'll head for Alaska again in 2010! Keeps me dreaming anyway!

By the way I enjoyed your pics! Is the precious baby with all the beautiful black hair your grandbaby? We have an 18 month old grand daugher, and since she's our first, you can imagine the fun we have when we get to see her (we live in NC and they live in Key West)! Grand children are amazing. I never understood all the hoopala till we have our own! We hope to take her to Alaska! Oh yes, Skye is hair challenged! Her Mama was too and now has beautiful long hair so we know it's all about patience!

Thanks for the kind words...we sure have fun taking all the pics!

Sharon

Archived