bringing wine on board

imanewcruiser

It is supposed to be one bottle of wine per adult passenger carried on the ship.

If you want to take more than that, I would advise you to pack it very carefully and check the bag with the porters. We have found that there is a good selection of boxed wine available and that packs very well for the rough handling the porters give the bags.

We just returned from a transatlantic cruise on the Emerald. No problem bring four bottles on at a time (which we did in several ports). This has also been our experience on 4 previous Princess cruises. We just brought them on openly in our carry-ons. Kudos to Princess for their sensible policy. You will see it posted two different ways. One will say one bottle per person and the other will say no liquor allowed only wine and champagne with no amount stated. As I said, 4 bottles at a time was never a problem. Also, we purchased wine nearly every night at dinner. Toward the end of the cruise, we brought wine purchased ashore to the dining room 3 different nights and were never charged a corkage fee. Your experience may vary as we have been charged corkage in the past; just not on this cruise. Bon Voyage!

We also returned from that same Emerald Princess cruise (18 days). While in Venice (our embarkation port) we bought a 5 liter box of wine (for only 8 Euros) which we managed to fit into our cabin fridge. We carried that box on-board in Venice in plain site (this was a pretty large box with handle) and the security folks had no issues other than wanting us to share :). By the way, for a box that contained nearly 7 bottles of wine (at a cost of about $1.70 per bottle) the stuff was quite drinkable (we bought the white, but they also sold a red). For anyone ever leaving from Venice, you can buy this stuff at the COOP Market located near the Piazzale Roma ACTV office.

Hank

Just a question. I know I can bring wine on board when we leave Fort Lauderdale but can you also buy it in a port and bring it on again. We are traveling Princess Jan. 23 doing a Panama Cruise. Thanks for any help

Phyllis

We did a panama cruise on the Island Princes embarking in Los Angeles. I bought beer in Mexico and in Costa Rico and carried it on board. They did not say a thing.

Alan

Archived