Fantasy Bound

gibsones175

Anyone have any recommendations for shore excursions at Progresso Mexico? I went last year and did the ruins and beach break. The water in Progresso leaves a lot to be desired and the beaches were not real clean. The town is almost skid-row. Is there anything anyone recommends there, for a dad aged 60 and his son aged 25?

Anyone have any recommendations for shore excursions at Progresso Mexico? I went last year and did the ruins and beach break. The water in Progresso leaves a lot to be desired and the beaches were not real clean. The town is almost skid-row. Is there anything anyone recommends there, for a dad aged 60 and his son aged 25?

If you've done the ruins and don't care for the beach or Progreso area, my suggestion would be to take a trip to Merida for the day. Check the Progreso boards for more information. I've only heard good things about Merida, and I'm sure you will have a better time there than staying near the beach.

We actually enjoy our days in Progreso and are looking forward to one more day at the beach in 2 weeks. We don't get in the water, so that's not an issue - we just enjoy the cool breeze, the yummy food and drinks, and spending the day with friends.

Go to the Progreso board. That's where I found out lotsa stuff....mostly folks recommending the little trip to Merida for the day, and a nice restaurant, LeSaint Bonnet. That's in my plans when my cruise on the Fantasy arrives.

Go to Merida.

When you get dropped off, go to the left as you get off the bus. Turn right at the first street. On the second block turn right on Calle 29. About halfway down the block is the local bus station. Tickets are $2.50pp roundtrip to Merida.

It takes about 30-45 minutes to get there. As you come out of the bus station, hang a right and go two blocks. You will see the Plaza Grande ahead of you. As long as you head back at around 1-1:30pm, you will have plenty of time.

This way you get 4 hours to wonder around instead of the one hour you get by taking the ship's tour. Plus you have saved enough money to get a nice meal and a couple of margaritas.

Dave

Go to the Progreso board. That's where I found out lotsa stuff....mostly folks recommending the little trip to Merida for the day, and a nice restaurant, LeSaint Bonnet. That's in my plans when my cruise on the Fantasy arrives.

Hey Cotton,

So are you going to join us on the 6-night sailing out of Mobile? Progreso, Cozumel and Costa Maya all on one sailing.

Dave

Hello!

We went on our first cruise last July and LOVED IT! In Progresso we did our own thing. I read on the ports of call boards about what to do. We decided to try the AutoProgresso tour to the REEF all inclusive resort. It was like $45 or $50 per person for all day, everything paid for. It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I HIGHLY recommend it! It's the exact same tour that's offered on Carnival's website but half the price.

ENJOY!!! You will love it!!

PS attached are some pics from the pier in Progresso & the resort, alot of people say it's not "pretty" in Progresso. I beg to differ, when you leave a port in the Gulf of Mexico, your version of PRETTY is a whole lot different than those that live in Florida or something lol. I thought it was beautiful (the beach)

DSCN0702.jpg.563df1142136e6628befe4a17c4cf6d3.jpg

DSCN0738.jpg.cf90bb645a317ff711d3ad0ee0bd2022.jpg

DSCN0744.jpg.f3b0f06c5d5dc107b37407b7d5e138f6.jpg

DSCN0743.jpg.2159f7efac7928f137ba5b140650283b.jpg

I have been reading up on Progresso, I think we will try thr Reef Club,and maybe the double decker bus tour of Progresso. It's either that or walk to the beach and go down to Buddy's and get one of those inexpensive massages.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Hey Cotton,

So are you going to join us on the 6-night sailing out of Mobile? Progreso, Cozumel and Costa Maya all on one sailing.

Dave

No, sorry Dave. Sounds good, but I'll be taking two friends and going on the Fantasy.:)

Since Progreso is a port I've not been to, I'm looking forward to it. Am I confused? I thought the bus tour was also in Merida? Fill me in, pal.

I've not been to Progresso but from what I've read on the boards, there is a double-decker bus tour of Progresso and one in Merida. It's a little confusing at first because I didn't get people were not talking about the same thing.

Archived