Roll Call: Independence of the Seas Transatlantic Nov. 23, 2009

GoodyearAZguys

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting the final countdown. Getting job and house arranged for our two weeks away. Still trying to decide on what to pack. What are the plans for formal nights? I'm thinking of no tux this time due to space.

On my first cruise, which happened to be on Royal's Freedom of the seas, I was offered "shooters" as my after dinner drink. From that, and also the overall service and ambiance in the main dinning room of a Royal Caribbean ship, I just don't think it merits a tuxedo. In fact, it seems the more cruises I go on, the less formal wear I bring. So for this cruise I am bringing only one black suit, with three different colored shirts and ties. THERE...I said it!! :-)

ALSO, I bet they are going to try to get us to have LGBT (fod) meetings in the disco. PLEASE let's find a more comfortable lounge for our gatherings!! thanks!!!

See you all in a few weeks!

Dan from Winnipeg

Agree with Dan here about the formal wear.

We were on Independence of the Seas last year and we had suits on with shirt & tie. I do remember a few guys wearing tux, but most of the rest were in dark suits. :)

Wish you all a great week. See u soon.

John & Alex

Good, we'll go with the suits too. If I remember correctly, on the Fall TA last year the FOD was up top in the Viking Crown lounge, however it was around 6:00 p.m. The first seating group could not attend. I'm hoping they choose a better time this year.

I was surprised at the large number of 'family' members onboard. It made for a fun cruise. We added a lot of enthusiasm to the activities, (parades, games, etc).

Bruce & Gary

I guess it's time to discuss the first FOD LGTB meeting!

Dan and I have already signed up for my time dining so we are flexible with times. We prefer a quiet setting so we can converse. Since we are quite busy the first 3 days...sail away day one, then 2 ports of call in france for days 2 and 3, it would make sense that we have it on the first full sea day 4. Since it is a full sea day, that makes it easy to have it either early or late or both even! Afternoon tea anyone? ;)

Suggestions? :D

welcome aboard!! :-)

I think we are 7 couples now. Perhaps there will be a few more couples who don't use cruisecritic, or who don't know about f.o.d. We didn't about gay and lesbians gatherings on our first cruise.

we are getting excited.... see you soon

Dan and Richard, Winnipeg Canada

We will try to make it to the FOD. Anyone up for the waverider, ice skating, or wall climbing? I'll be doing these solo. I don't think I'll be able to talk Bruce into it.

Welcome aboard fellow canucks from Vancouver!

Regarding waverider, I did that march 2008 on Freedom. Boogie boarding was easy, surfing was hard, especially with a torn acl, but I am willing to give it another go. My spouse is forcing me to go ice skating, so we will be doing that for sure! :-) I can physically do wall climbing no problem, but mentally I am scared of falling. I wasnt too succesful before but I may still want to give it another go since my last try on Freedom.

We are close guys! woohoo!

Tonight as we were busy ironing and packing Bruce gave me my Christmas gift, a Kindle!. I just spent the last hour downloading books to read on the cruise. (Bruce is still ironing clothes) I may have to buy him a book too.

Glad others are willing to try the physical activities the Indy has to offer. Hate making a fool of myself alone. lol. At least there will be enough hot tubs to crawl into afterward.

Welcome Jonathan and Randy!

We are Gary and Bruce from Florida.

Hello Gary & Bruce, Dan and Richard (Dickie)

I was just getting my vitamins sorted tonight and will deal with clothes on Thursday evening.

I might be up for skating sometime but will probably just watch the climbing wall and the surfing / waverider.

Wishing everyone a safe trip to Southampton.

Randy

The waverider is a lot of fun - totally worth a try, and even if you fall a few times, keep going as it gets easier. Boogie board is the best way to start, but the surfboard is awesome too. Ice skating was good and Rock Climbimg is amazing specially when u are in the ocean - u can see for miles... Loved the different climbing tracks :)

We are heading to the UK tomorrow morning to spend time with some friends before the big TA trip. Can't wait until we all sail.

See u all soon onboard. Travel safe.

John & Alex (from Tampa, FL)

Hi All,

Have just decided, literally last week, to join this trannie cruise. Did the April crossing to Soton, so know how fabulous the ship is. This is my first posting having just discovered this forum, and delighted to see there are at least ten other couples. However I shall be alone as my partner is off on another trip. Will look forward to meeting everyone at FOD.

Captain Philip

Yes we are. Flying nonstop on virgin atl.

Arrive 7:am monday at gatwick.

We like them to handle it.

How about you?

We too booked with Royal Caribbean..

we arrive in London at 6am ish..where is Gatwick? We might be on the same bus to southhampton!

Hiya MGHurle,

You haven't said much about who you are. Where you guys from, how many, ages.. etc.

Would have been fun to take a train to Southhampton but our airfair package includes bus ride to the ship.

See ya on the ship at some point!

Dan

Archived