Belize, Rio Wallace River Tour ???

JJC

Leaving this Sunday on Miracle and thinking of doing the Rio Wallace /Ruins Tour in Belize, wondering if the trip up the river is worth the extra cost as opposed to just taking the ruins trip by bus? We have toured several ruins in Mexico before. Any and all thoughts on this would be appreciated. Jud

We did this very tour last Dec from the Paradise. It was the hilight of the entire tour. The ruins are interesting, maybe not as spectacular as others but interesting, non the less. The day was beautiful and the boat ride down the river was great. We saw many forms of wildlife along the way. Monkeys birds croc's bats and others. When we left the river and back into the bay there were also manatee. It is a day long tour, but we thought well worth the price. The tour of the city was interesting and an eye opener of a third world country that is struggling to catch up to the rest of us. I would highly recommend the tour. Have a great cruise.

Hi: My husband and I were on the Elation last December and we went on this tour and really enjoyed it. I think that you will enjoy it if you like to ride in a boat, don't wear a cap because you will lose it. I enjoyed seeing all the different trees that grew together on the banks. Good luck on your cruise, we are going again this December on the Sensation with our kids for their

Christmas. Happy cruising:: Sharon

Count another one that says the boat ride will be the highlight. We did that excursion when we were on the Glory last year. The people are super nice there. It was interesting to see the different wildlife and plant life. The ruins were great too. But then again that was the first ruins tour we've been on. Some others say that Cozumel has better tours for ruins.

this entire day was a highlight of my cruise...the trip through the countryside and city gives you an appreciation of what thoe who went before us went through to bring us to our technological today....the ruins remind us that many many came before and how sad it is that we do not know a lot about the culture or those humans who were the advanced ones for their time...the lunch meal was a simple one i am still trying to recreate! and the river cruise was just the icing on a cream filled cake!

guess i really liked belize and this particular tour!

We were on the Elation last Thanksgiving and loved this excursion. We enjoyed the bus ride to Altun Ha as we could see what the Belize countryside and Belize City looked like. The ruins were great. We had been to Tulum in the past and even though these are a bit smaller in scale, we thoroughly enjoyed them. Then the River Wallace tour was so interesting. We saw all sorts of wild life - monkeys, bats, alligators, and more. The tour drops you off at the pier where you catch the tender back to the ship. We still had over an hour to shop after the tour. We highly recommend it.

Agree with everyone above! :) Really get a feel of Belize. Just a tip, we also brought water and some granola bars which came in handy because we chose not to eat at the little food stand where they stop in between the boat ride and bus ride. Just our choice, but others got the rice and beans, etc. Also wear sunscreen, since there is no cover on the boat.

We did this tour 2 years ago on the Carnival Pride. We loved it! It seemed like a really good value, because you're getting 2 tours in one -- the Mayan ruins, and the river boat ride. The ruins were much more accessible than the ones we saw at Tulum. They let you climb right up on top of them, which was very cool -- you can see the ocean from that height!

I didn't expect the river ride to be as interesting as it was! We saw alligators, bats, iguanas in the trees, lots of howler monkeys, and some manatees.

Book this one right away -- you'll really like it!

Mary Ellen

Price was a bit steep when we were on the Elation in August. I seem to recall $79 or $89 per person 12 & over for the river/ruins combo. :confused: We ended up doing only the ruins w/the city tour as we had 4 kids and chose the shorter excursion because of them. (it was still a bit long for them!) And it still was about $250 for 6 of us (4 over age 12, 2 under age 12).

Just want to thank all who responded to my question on the Rio Wallace river tour,and all the good tips, you all sure convinced us that it will be worth it. We were in Belize last year and did the city tour, which we enjoyed, great to learn how they actually live, etc. Getting very excited now, as we watched the Miracle come into port on news today. Happy Sailing to all.. Jud

We did this tour last June when we sailed on the Glory and thought it was worth every penny. We were in the group that toured the ruins first and then did the river. Ruins area not that big , but very interesting. River tour is great. Another plus not advertised is the bus ride thru the city and surrounding countryside. Makes you realize how lucky we are when you see what the people from Belize consider as "normal" living conditions.

Archived