Any Waterside bars in Old San Juan?

kcparrothead

Waterside, close to pier...... Not really, at least not like a sitting with your feet in the sand at a beach bar thing....

OSJ is a harbor on one side (where the cruise docks) (so it is kind of ugly). On the other side is the ocean.

On the ocean side, there is a place that has an outside sitting area with a view of the water (there is nothing "on" the water). Called Cafe Amapola (http://www.cafeamapola.com/ ...,it is currently closed for renovation- call first before assuming it is open). It is very close to Fort San Cristobal, so you can walk up and visit the fort, then have drinks and dinner...

We visited the fort when we were there 2 years ago and the view from there was beautiful! This place looks great - and they should be done with the remodel by the time we get there (10 months! :D) Do you have any other ideas of places for a tropical drink after that? Thank you so much!!!

That is the only place I can think of with a water view...

But from there, it is only a few blocks back down hill to the SoFo area. Parrot Club (they have an interior open air courtyard, sometimes live music) . Probably what you might like.

DragonFly make some really good drinks and it is nice. But all inside. Really, lots of nice places in that area. Most will have a bar area. We just went to Blend- very neat. They have a little couch area where you can lay back and chill with your drink.

On Recinto Sur, there are lots of places where you can sit outside (on the sidewalk). Good for people watching, but kind of city-like with lots of cars etc.

Thank you soooo much for the tips! I do have another question, though - how can we dress for these places? Would a nice shirt and shorts work for my husband? I would probably wear a sundress. I've read where you should dress up when going to places in SJ, but I'm afraid it will be pretty hot outside.

It is hot, so you will be fine wearing casual clothes. There may be a few places that say no to shorts and they sometimes even have signs with their dress code... but I doubt anyone will turn him away. We have never had a problem in shorts. (well on weekends and later in the evening they are stricter with dress code). Some really fancy places require pants.

Wow, Café Amapola (no relation LOL) looks wonderful. Never heard of it, though I go to OSJ very often. But I rarely make it up to Norzagaray. It's going on my list when it reopens!

To the OP, I was going to suggest a little Tex-Mex place right by the OSJ piers, in the building where you take the Cataño ferry. It's not the best place in the world :), but it's all right, pleasant, and they do have a covered terrace overlooking the bay and the ferries. Also, the Sheraton has an outdoor restaurant/cafe, but I've no idea of the menu.

http://www.restaurantsinpr.com has lots of info. HTH and enjoy your visit!

Archived