Astoria

poole

I have no comments about Astoria being an old ship, but I have 31 days with Saga Cruises and, onboard the Saga Sisters, the debates about the "new" ship have raged unabated. Now that the choice of Astoria has been made, I am confident Astoria will become a ship of class and style in the hands of Saga Holidays.

On Saga cruises, there is a sense of dedication to outstanding service, excellent menus, and good quality food, a quick response to passenger input - it's as though Saga recognizes the concept of comfort and style while sailing on the high seas rather than modular cabins at a cheap rate on an ugly apartment barge to maximize corporate profits.

I look forward to having Astoria under the Saga flag. Whatever is done in the renovation, my experience with Saga tells me that the "new" ship will be refitted with taste and style and maintained at the highest level of passenger service.

Ruby

• 3 weeks later...

Very much agree with you regarding the top class service with Saga cruises, but why-oh-why have they gone for a clapped-out old ship like 'Astoria'? It has been reported that she has a bad record of being cockroach-ridden when examined in Tilbury (a newspaper reported that the Captain did a midnight "runner" back to his home port!), and has apparently just cancelled a world cruise, due to engine problems (see seperate link). Saga can do better than this for a "new" ship, surely?:mad:

Don't count chickens just yet.

Astoria is in drydock that was to be done before a 124 night world cruise starting tomorrow with her current operator, Transocean Germany.

BUT.....

Transocean cancels Astoria world cruise

She has been cancelled due to having been found to have major engine trouble that will take 4 months to fix AT LEAST...

AND....

http://lloydslist.com/ll/news/norsk-tillitsmann-starts-sales-of-club-cruises-ships/20017594845.htm

She is owned by Club Cruise and they defaulted on repayments and that means creditors are selling ships.....including Astoria, Van Gogh, Albatros & Alexander Von Humboldt II which was arrested last week in Amsterdam and only released after money was paid by her chartering company Phoenix Reisen.

At present there has been no word from Saga as to whether they will have Astoria or not.

• 2 years later...

Sounds like a topic for a crime novel!

Many thanks.

Poole

Don't count chickens just yet.

Astoria is in drydock that was to be done before a 124 night world cruise starting tomorrow with her current operator, Transocean Germany.

BUT.....

Transocean cancels Astoria world cruise

She has been cancelled due to having been found to have major engine trouble that will take 4 months to fix AT LEAST...

AND....

http://lloydslist.com/ll/news/norsk-tillitsmann-starts-sales-of-club-cruises-ships/20017594845.htm

She is owned by Club Cruise and they defaulted on repayments and that means creditors are selling ships.....including Astoria, Van Gogh, Albatros & Alexander Von Humboldt II which was arrested last week in Amsterdam and only released after money was paid by her chartering company Phoenix Reisen.

At present there has been no word from Saga as to whether they will have Astoria or not.

Archived