Ship Excursion or Local Tour Company?

It seems most everyone here does the local thing because it's less expensive and generally less crowded on something like a snorkel tour to Stingray City. That is appealing. However, we also are liking the Stingray, Island Tour & Turtle Adventure that goes through RCCL because it has several different things to do all wrapped up in one. We also do like the 'insurance' you get by booking through the ship in case you have some unforseeable incident that may make you miss the ship. Rare, I know, but still...:o

Having said that, would we just be better off staying with the cruise line tour, or is there a local company that will take us to all of these places just as nicely? I seem to be having trouble finding one that offers all the stops together.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm just not finding the question and answers I'm looking for. Thanks so much!

There's nothing wrong with booking a cruiseline tour, especially if they have exactly what you are looking for, and if it's a long tour that might have a risk of returning to the ship late. We prefer to book with private guides, but only if their tour leaves around breakfast time and ends with a couple of hours' cushion before the all-aboard time. (We generally like to be onboard for a late lunch, as it saves us money not having to buy a meal in port).

I assume you're talking about Grand Cayman. Have you inquired on the Ports of Call board for the names of reputable and recommended private tour guides? You can contact the guides, asking if they can put together a package for you that includes all the stops you want.

Keep in mind that the popular and reputable tour guides would lose their business and their reputation if they ever caused passengers to miss the ship, so they are very conscientious about getting you back to the ship in time. They often have back-up busses and such. You can ask them about their safeguards prior to making a reservation with them. It's different than just hailing a cab once ashore and arranging a tour on-the-spot because you don't know who you're dealing with, and he/she doesn't have the same investment in making sure you're back in time as private guides who own their own tour business do.

Archived