Samana: ships' tour "Devil's Mouth & Playa Rincon"

flashdog_1

I've read that the way to Playa Rincon, one of the 10 best beaches in the world, via road, is very rough. That's why most tours take you by boat.

Has anyone been on this tour called, in the description, "off the beaten path adventure"? Pass a marble mine, go to Devil's mouth, visit The Six brothers, just a short walk away which is located on a cliff overlooking Cape Samana.

Question, do you have to climb to get to the overlook?

The activity level says only a 2 so it's doable. 4 1/2 hours

Is there time at the beach to eat lunch? and is there a place to eat? ha

It doesn't mention how they get you back to the ship, so I don't know if it is still in the vehicle or if you take a boat.

Sorry for so many questions, but I really want to pick the right tour for us sexagenarian/sepagenarian with bad spines but can walk fine. Thanks

Sorry I have no answer, but I'd like to add my voice to you two as another who would love information about this tour. My roll call group is trying to get a group together to do another Playa Rincon excursion (not through the ship), but this may be my back-up if that doesn't pan out for us.

We're also trying to put together a group for a Playa Rincon tour, on our roll call site, but no responses yet. We're sailing 12/12/08 on Explorer of the Seas. When do you dock in Samana? We dock on the 17th of Dec, 8am to 6pm. Maybe we could get a group together from different ships??

hankandreds

We're also trying to put together a group for a Playa Rincon tour, on our roll call site, but no responses yet. We're sailing 12/12/08 on Explorer of the Seas. When do you dock in Samana? We dock on the 17th of Dec, 8am to 6pm. Maybe we could get a group together from different ships??

hankandreds

We'll be in Samana on December 14. That was a great idea though; I hadn't thought of other ships that might be there at the same time.

Tomorrow I will call to see if they have any more details about the type of vehicle, if the road has been improved etc.

Otherwise I've had an email from Casa Dorado who do the boat trip to Playa Rincon after you take a taxi to their town (they arrange the taxi for you which would be waiting at the tender pier). The ship anchors and you take a tender into Samana). For a group of 10 it would be only $26 per person for everything, but you'd have to buy your own lunch at the beach. The proprietor suggests that if the Devil's Mouth (which she says is very interesting) is something you would want, just pay the taxi driver $20 more dollars for the detour 3 km off the main road. (which would make the pp cost $27). She says you pass the marble mine on the main road from Las Galeras where they live and from where the tour begins its boat ride to Playa Rincon.

She emphasizes that you can control the size of the group rather than go with a much larger group thru the ship. Whether you have 10 or fewer, the price is the same, $260. I've arranged this kind of excursion privately in other ports, and it really is nicer.

The difference, however, is two fold. First it's not a ship's tour so you do not have the guarantee that they'd hold the ship for you should something delay you (of course making sure you leave very early is a good precaution), and second, I don't know how good the English of the taxi driver would be, nor his/her acquaintance with how to handle a side excursion such as Boca del diablo.

You can email them for particulars at

casadorado@gmail.com.

They have a website. They do whale watching and fishing, too, I believe. The wife appears to be American. They've just built a guest house there in town, and I've read good things about their tour on cruise critic. I've never been, nor do I know them. I'm just passing on information I find since you are interested in getting to Playa Rincon.

If you tell her the date your ship will be in Samana, perhaps she can put together some from one ship and some from another, even if it does not total 10 people. It would still be lots cheaper than the ship's tour. The one on NCL is $59 and says it's 4.5 hours. What is it on other ships' excursion list?

Tomorrow I will call to see if they have any more details about the type of vehicle, if the road has been improved etc.

Otherwise I've had an email from Casa Dorado who do the boat trip to Playa Rincon after you take a taxi to their town (they arrange the taxi for you which would be waiting at the tender pier). The ship anchors and you take a tender into Samana). For a group of 10 it would be only $26 per person for everything, but you'd have to buy your own lunch at the beach. The proprietor suggests that if the Devil's Mouth (which she says is very interesting) is something you would want, just pay the taxi driver $20 more dollars for the detour 3 km off the main road. (which would make the pp cost $27). She says you pass the marble mine on the main road from Las Galeras where they live and from where the tour begins its boat ride to Playa Rincon.

She emphasizes that you can control the size of the group rather than go with a much larger group thru the ship. Whether you have 10 or fewer, the price is the same, $260. I've arranged this kind of excursion privately in other ports, and it really is nicer.

The difference, however, is two fold. First it's not a ship's tour so you do not have the guarantee that they'd hold the ship for you should something delay you (of course making sure you leave very early is a good precaution), and second, I don't know how good the English of the taxi driver would be, nor his/her acquaintance with how to handle a side excursion such as Boca del diablo.

You can email them for particulars at

casadorado@gmail.com.

They have a website. They do whale watching and fishing, too, I believe. The wife appears to be American. They've just built a guest house there in town, and I've read good things about their tour on cruise critic. I've never been, nor do I know them. I'm just passing on information I find since you are interested in getting to Playa Rincon.

If you tell her the date your ship will be in Samana, perhaps she can put together some from one ship and some from another, even if it does not total 10 people. It would still be lots cheaper than the ship's tour. The one on NCL is $59 and says it's 4.5 hours. What is it on other ships' excursion list?

This is the same tour operator that I'm trying to put a shore excursion together with in Samana. They told me I had to put my own group together. We are sailing on Explorer on 12/12/08, out of Bayonne.

Is there anyone reading this forum who is on our ship and would be interested in this excursion? This is a fantastic beach, and other than an excursion such as this, there is not much else to do in Samana.

on the type of vehicle that will be used for the Devil's Mouth and Playa Rincon excursion. Perhaps in a week they'll know.

I did ask if the motorcoach used for the Discover Samana was air conditioned. It is not. It would be school bus type. And we already know that the tours that are in speed boats and safari trucks are open air. This makes me wonder if the choice for Devil's Mouth is going to be ATV or safari wagon. I'll let you know when I hear.

on the type of vehicle that will be used for the Devil's Mouth and Playa Rincon excursion. Perhaps in a week they'll know.

I did ask if the motorcoach used for the Discover Samana was air conditioned. It is not. It would be school bus type. And we already know that the tours that are in speed boats and safari trucks are open air. This makes me wonder if the choice for Devil's Mouth is going to be ATV or safari wagon. I'll let you know when I hear.

I dont think you will need air conditioning, the weather is really mild there and the breeze is just right.

I can't answer directly to the excusion you are asking about, but we visited Playa Rincon on Samana last year. We did not have an excusion so hired a taxi at the dock. It was $100.00 US for four couples.

YES the roads are rough. They start out good close to the dock and then go from two lanes paved to one lane paved and dirt/gravel for the other lane, these seem rough until you hit the dirt/gravel one lane roads about 45 minutes after leaving the dock. This is about the time you start thinking you are lost and never going to see a beach, when just about then- you turn onto a narrow one lane road built with BIG chunks of rock and the taxi can only go 5 MPH at the fastest. This lasts for about two miles until you see the beach and the one lane sand road. We actually hepled a taxi out fo the deep sand as they have to get out of the way for oncoming traffic and there is only one lane of packed sand- the rest is loose beach. Scenery is interesting, but nothing outstanding to see on the way there that I would do this again. I recommend the boat trip, as I will do this the next time. Definately recommed this beach- see it before it gets too commercialized.

Archived