Getting Around Dublin

Nymue

What is the best way to get around Dublin? We plan on staying 3 nights in Dublin prior to going on to London before our cruise. Our Hotel seems to be just on the out-skirts, near the airport.

What is our best bet to get around, how is public transport...or should we rent a car?

Thank You in Advance,

Anne

Dublin is a rather compact city and easy to navigate by foot. We also used the HOHO bus one day and that worked out very well.

I'm not sure about using public transport from the outskirts of the city since we stayed right in the city. You don't need a car unless you are going to travel to other areas outside the city. We had a car, only because we had traveled around the southern part of the country, and didn't use it once we were in Dublin, it stayed in the car park.

I would second what the other poster has said. Driving a car around Dublin wasn't much fun and you don't need one to explore the centre.

Personally I would rent a car if you wanted to explore further afeild (well worth doing). I didn't use public transport (walked mostly), but buses and light rail service appeared to be frequent and modern.

I totally agree. Driving in Dublin is an absolute nightmare. In a taxi it took us 50 minutes to get into the centre. What we didn't know is that we could have taken the DART (train) and it would have taken us no time at all.

The Hop on Hop Off buses are a great way to see the city, although the city is compact and walkable. You get a map showing all the top tourist places - most of which are well worth a visit. One of my personal favourites is Kilmainham Gaol - too far out to walk to this one, you need to take the bus. Of course, no visit to Dublin would be completed without a visit to the Guinness Storehouse.

Whatever you decide - enjoy.

From the airport you can catch a bus into the town center. The transit system is very good & efficient and the staff are very helpful. Definitely would suggest taking the HOHO bus the first day to get an idea what you want to see & do. Just returned from our trip 2 wks ago. Also went 2 yrs ago. We love Dublin. Once in town just walk around.

Would highly suggest some of the walking tours such as the 1916 tour on the Irish Rebellion and the Literary Pub Crawl or the Music Pub Crawl. The "crawls" are just walks from 3 different pubs where you get the literary or music history at each location. Have not yet done the 1916 tour but have heard from others it is great if you are into Irish history.

Frankly, you are in the wrong and inconvenient area for a hotel. The "outskirts near the airport" is way out of town. FAR better is to be in the city, then walk everywhere. It is probably a cheaper option for you, reason why you prehaps chose that location, but it's going to be a REAL negative if you really want to enjoy the city and the extensive nightlife. I suggest you look at perhaps changing your location.

Archived