Anyone done the BOSS Underwater Adventure

ncdachsiemom

We've done the BOSS/BOB excursion in St. Thomas and in Cozumel. The St. Thomas excursion is very well done and a much better experience than the one in Cozumel. You are only on the scooter for about 30 minutes, but it is a lot of fun. The crew and overall operation are top notch. The scooter has an observation bubble at the top. You get on by ducking your head underwater and entering the air pocket. There is a dive tank that supplies your air and keeps the water out. You simply breathe normally without needing a snorkel or mouthpiece. The water comes up to just below your shoulders. The neat thing is that you can bring your hands in and out of the air pocket. My wife even had a fish splash her when we were taking photos. The air pressure from the tank keeps the water out. You operate the throttle by pushing a button on the steering wheel.

The safety divers that are with you take you down to between 15 and 18 feet. Each unit is independent, but is attached to a small diving buoy that you pull along the surface. It is a very unique experience and a lot of fun.

You have to follow the route that the divers tell you to follow. We went through an opening in a coral reef and saw a lot of fish. I highly recommend that you bring some disposable underwater cameras for some great shots. The divers will take your picture with your own camera for you as well. They spread some fish food in front of you and the reef fish swarm around for a great photo op. I highly recommend this tour in St. Thomas. While you are waiting for your turn, there is nice swimming and snorkeling available for you. It is a half day tour, so there is plenty of time for shopping, especially if you are on the morning trip.

Eric

Thanks, Eric,

This sounds like fun. I think we might try to book it. How many people go on the boat? Did you book it ahead of time, or were you able to book it on the ship? You mentioned you can put your hands in the bubble....can you wipe your glasses off so you can see?:confused: I can't see without them, and that is why I don't snorkel!

Thanks!!

Linda

Thanks, Eric,

This sounds like fun. I think we might try to book it. How many people go on the boat? Did you book it ahead of time, or were you able to book it on the ship? You mentioned you can put your hands in the bubble....can you wipe your glasses off so you can see?:confused: I can't see without them, and that is why I don't snorkel!

Thanks!!

Linda

You can. You might want to put your glasses in a zip lock bag along with a paper towel. You do have to put your head under water momentarily to get in. The water stays out, but you are able to reach in and out without any problem.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

we did this excursion in st. thomas a week ago today! we had a great time and recommend it highly. there were around 25 people on the boat, and while 1/2 were using the scooters, the other 1/2 were snorkeling or swimming. then after a while, we switched.

there were several people in our group who wear glasses, and the captain actually addressed that issue in part of his instructional speech.

i second bringing a waterproof/underwater camera. we didn't, but they had them for sale onboard for $20. although i knew i could've bought one for 1/2 that price at home, i ponied up the cash anyway and was glad because it was really cool!

Archived