advice for excursions for a 4.5 yr old

klstiger

Hi,

We are cruising on Indy of the Seas in February 2009. We are looking for ideas for excursions for St. Marten and St. Thomas. I have a good idea for San Juan (site seeing and walking old town) and Labadee (Malfini beach and/or Aqua Park).

I am hoping that my son will also enjoy the kids camp on board but can not count on that...

Thanks!!!

Both places are pretty safe to just grab a taxi at the port and go on your on. In St. Thomas my kids like the aerial tram that you can walk to from the port. there is also a aquarium type park (i can't remember the name) that my kids love (bring bathing suits there is a beach right there)

In st. Maartin we have done a few things if you want to see the island find a taxi and say you want a tour of the island. My kids love the beach by the airport. the runway is next to the beach and the planes fly right over your head.

We had our four year old GD on a cruise earlier this year. We all enjoyed Coral World and Coki Beach in St. Thomas. Taxis are available at both the port and at Coki Beach.

The Butterfly Farm was a hit in St. Martin. We hired a taxi for half a day to take us there and to a near-by beach. I think it was Baby Beach. We wanted to go see the planes land on the St. Maarten side of the island but thought it might be too intense.

Note: You will need a portable car seat for the taxi rides.

http://www.coralworldvi.com/

http://www.neostream.net/~bfarm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

I have been to both islands a number of times with my now almost 4 year old daughter. Our first choice is usually beach days since she loves that the most.

In St Thomas, Megans Bay is very nice. We have also ferried over to St John and seen some AMAZING beaches there. Trunk Bay is a little more touristy, I would skip it and head up one more stop to Cinnaman Bay. It is a little work to get there since you have to ferry (1/2 hour but a nice ride) and then open air taxi (20 mins and also a nice ride) but very worth it IMO. We got some beach toys on site. They also have facilities (showers/bathrooms)

In St Maarten, we love Orient Beach - Coco Beach has a nice restaurant, nice kids playground in the sand (also mostly shaded). We usually rent chairs/umbrella and hand there for quite a while. (If you dont already know, there is some nudity). Also facilities (showers, bathroom). Easy to get to with a short taxi ride from the dock. We also usually add on the Butterfly farm since it is pretty close. I make arrangements with my taxi driver to pick me up at a certain time or have the restaurant call one for me when I am ready.

My daughter loves this island (as do Mommy and Daddy).

Have a great time! :)

• 3 weeks later...

A note on the kids' club....my 4 yr old wasn't "on board" with the whole idea, until he met some other kids in the pool one day. After that- voila!- kids' club every night after dinner. Of course, it helped one of the kids he met was a little girl! He's such a flirt already! Anyways, get out to the pool early on your cruise and meet some others. (That's worked twice now!)

Archived