Playa Rincon

professor06

After reading some reviews by CC members trips with Casa Dorado I contacted them about their trip there and they book groups of ten. Is anyone interested in sharing the cost or have any idea for alternatives.. My wife and I will be on NCL Dawn and in Samana Feb 16 2009

Professor,

This is a link to your specific Dawn sailing. It's the roll call board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=738091

These are the people who will be on your ship that you can ask. I briefly read some posts and they just seem to be getting to know one another, but I may have missed something about excursions.

Just introduce yourself, say how many people are in your group and that you are starting to try to arrange your excursions. Ask them what they have already planned. Tell them what you'd like to do and how many more you need for the Playa Rincon trip.

They are probably counting cruise critic members on the roll call to see if they have enough people for a "Meet & Greet" so they will respond at least to welcome you, if not immediately to take you up on your idea.

Professor,

I would be interested in this if more people sign up. My husband and I will be on the 14Feb NCL Dawn cruise. Do you have any details? I looked on their website but it didn't have a lot of info. From what I have read on posts about this, the price is $260 total and a cab picks you up at the port? Did they tell you the time frame? And does this include snorkeling off of their boat or just a ride to the beach?

After reading some reviews by CC members trips with Casa Dorado I contacted them about their trip there and they book groups of ten. Is anyone interested in sharing the cost or have any idea for alternatives.. My wife and I will be on NCL Dawn and in Samana Feb 16 2009

Hi, I am going in December, could you please post who you contacted, email etc, I am going to try and get a group.

JJJOY,

please read all the info on our roll call (posted by me and others) about details we've received in emails from Catherine who speaks English. If you don't find the answer on ***Dawn Jan 24, 2009****, just email her with your questions. Also note the price is for a cab for 10 and a boat for 10. If you don't fill either, the price is still $260.

Wack001

Go to:

http://www.casadoradodr.com/

JJJOY,

please read all the info on our roll call (posted by me and others) about details we've received in emails from Catherine who speaks English. If you don't find the answer on ***Dawn Jan 24, 2009****, just email her with your questions. Also note the price is for a cab for 10 and a boat for 10. If you don't fill either, the price is still $260.

Wack001

Go to:

http://www.casadoradodr.com/

A group of us are going from our Roll Call Dawn 1-17-09 and you can get the details, I cut and pasted them from my emails to the Roll Call board. There are several different excursions offered from this Bed & breakfast resort owner. For just the beach day, we had more than 10 that wanted to go, but stuck to 10. We all want a very remote, quiet beach day....less is more at Playa Rincon. Food and beverages are in addition to this cost.

Note; this day trip is for those who like a bit of an adventure. NOT for those looking for the "safety" of the ship excursions. NOT for those looking for motorized sports and crazy party beach scene. This is not that type of day. If you like the commercialized beaches with beach bars and restaurants, ferry rides with licensed vendors, places with ice cubes and food you don't have to "worry" about, this is not what you want. This is rustic. Just the way I like it ;)

Jan

Note; this day trip is for those who like a bit of an adventure. NOT for those looking for the "safety" of the ship excursions. NOT for those looking for motorized sports and crazy party beach scene. This is not that type of day. If you like the commercialized beaches with beach bars and restaurants, ferry rides with licensed vendors, places with ice cubes and food you don't have to "worry" about, this is not what you want. This is rustic. Just the way I like it ;)Jan

Hi again,

Your comments raise a few questions.

Did you not find the food at Playa Rincon to be sanitary? I figured throwing a freshly caught fish on the grill might fill the bill. Were you afraid to eat there? I am not, but DH is and I'd like to placate him if you found it acceptable sanitation wise.

The beach is huge, I know. I can't quite get a grip on what the eating facilities are. I've seen many photos but most are unlabeled and I don't know if I have a real idea in my mind of what to expect. Is it just a kiosk on the beach with some umbrellas to sit under? or less? (shade is a most important factor for me since I've had some skin cancers removed). Is the "restaurant" near where you beach the boat? I've bought some Speedo water shoes for the "landing" of the boat!

We are not "lie in the sun" people, but would enjoy sitting, eating, drinking bottled drinks (no cold beer then?) and soaking in the atmosphere in between walking the beach.

Oh, BTW, Catherine says they are the only English speaking ferry from Las Galeras to the beach, and are licensed, with proper safety equipment. did you not get the feeling that you were safe?

Any description would be very much appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Professor06, please join our roll call for the February 14th Dawn sailing. There may be members inb our group interested in that excursion (I don't know much about it myself).

Here's a direct link to our specific roll call, it's a small but friendly group!

Professor,

I would be interested in this if more people sign up. My husband and I will be on the 14Feb NCL Dawn cruise. Do you have any details? I looked on their website but it didn't have a lot of info. From what I have read on posts about this, the price is $260 total and a cab picks you up at the port? Did they tell you the time frame? And does this include snorkeling off of their boat or just a ride to the beach?

Jjoycruiser, it appears you're on our sailing as well.

Please join our roll call for the February 14th Dawn sailing.

Here's a direct link to our roll call, it's a small but friendly group!

Ouote from flashdog_1 "Did you not find the food at Playa Rincon to be sanitary? I figured throwing a freshly caught fish on the grill might fill the bill. Were you afraid to eat there? I am not, but DH is and I'd like to placate him if you found it acceptable sanitation wise."

The fish on the grill is great! The beers are cold and you get to sit in the shade. No worries, it's about 20 yards from your table to the beach. This place is beautiful! And well worth the trip getting there. Get a hold of Cathy at Casa Dorado, and they will take care of you and make sure you get back to the ship on time. This is some place you must see!

• 1 month later...
Professor,

dear jjoycruiser Sorry for the long delay in responding but issues came up in school along with the holidays that kept me extremely busy. If you are still interested in the Casa Dorado trip to Playa Rincon my wife and I are too. Even with only 4 people the cost is still about the same as NCL's and we can make our own schedule other then the canned tour they offer.If you or anyone else on the roll call is interested please contact me and I will work out the details with CVasa Dorado. You can check out the details for the tour on Cas Dorado's website. I look forward to hearing from you. professor06

dear jjoycruiser Sorry for the long delay in responding but issues came up in school along with the holidays that kept me extremely busy. If you are still interested in the Casa Dorado trip to Playa Rincon my wife and I are too. Even with only 4 people the cost is still about the same as NCL's and we can make our own schedule other then the canned tour they offer.If you or anyone else on the roll call is interested please contact me and I will work out the details with CVasa Dorado. You can check out the details for the tour on Cas Dorado's website. I look forward to hearing from you. professor06

Professor06, please join our roll call for the 2/14 sailing. There may be others interested in the same private excursion!

Here's a link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=17677229#post17677229

Hi Professor,

I did email Casa Dorado, here is what they sent back on the 28th of December but I have not confirmed anything with them.

Thank you for your interest in Casa Dorado!! Below is more info on our excursions from Las Galeras beach. All prices are based on up to 10 people, not per person. You are the first person who has emailed me about Feb. 16th. Many cruise ship visitors find additional people to fill the boat by posting on cruise critic.

Playa Rincon Excursion - Conde Nast Traveler ranked this beach as one of the world's 10 best. It's so splendid, in fact, that many Dominicans refer to it as the most beautiful on the island. Over three miles long, Playa Rincon is surrounded by coconut palms and almond trees, not to mention a 2,000 foot mountain on one end. The best way to get to this isolated beach is by boat; a ride that is definitely worth it. Round-trip boat ride from Las Galeras main beach to Playa Rincon is $160 for up to 10 people. There are several small restaurants on Playa Rincon, where you can order a fish, lobster or chicken lunch.

Snorkeling at La Playita/Playa Rincon Excursion - Round-trip boat ride to la Playita to snorkel followed by swimming at Playa Rincon. We provide all snorkeling equipment and ice cold water. The price of the trip is $250 for up to 10 people. Lunch can be ordered in La Playita and cooked while you snorkel.

We are located in Las Galeras, which is 18 miles from Samana. We can reserve a taxi that will be waiting for you on the Samana boat Dock and will bring you straight to Las Galeras main beach and return you at your leisure. The taxi is $100 for up to 10 people. The taxi is a large van/small bus that easily fits 10 passengers.

Lunch is not included in any of these prices, but they run $10-18 per person. Let me know if you have any questions.

Catherine Guzman

I will also post this on the roll call. I would want at least 6 people to do this I think, to keep the cost down but am still very interested... I don't think we would want to do the snorkeling excursion though, just the beach. Is this what you are thinking also?

Thanks for your fast reply unlike my own! Yes the trip we were interested in is the beach and if you Google/Yahoo Playa Rincon you will find that snorkeling is half way decent there at the beach also and it looks incredible . last month's Carribean magazine also listed it in the top 10 to see/visit. 4 years ago we were in Samana and did the Cayo Levantado Beach as there was and still is very little to do, it was ok. Even if no one else is interested the cost through Casa Dorado who got good reviews is still about the same as NCL's tour to Playa Rincon. Sorry for no profile yet but I will get to it soon overall this is our sixth cruise with Ncl on both sides of the Caribbean. Please let me know what kind of decision you choose to come up with.. Professor06/Walt Lincoln / Massachusetts

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Professor,

Catherine is actually the lady who sent the email to me. My name is Jessica:)

Unfortunately no one has replied to my posts...... I think we are just going to wing it in Samana. I have read some reviews that people were able to go on private excursions getting off the ship. I know most people think this may be scary but we are pretty adventurous and don't usually do the ship excursions. So I'm sorry we will not be doing the Playa Rincon trip but enjoy your vacation.

Not much longer now!

Just back from the Dawn and got to say our Playa RIncon excursion through Casa Dorado was the highlight of our trip! Elizabeth and Roberto are awesome and my husband and I are planning to visit their bed and breakfast on a land trip soon.

I will do a full review soon, got too much laundry and teenager house clean up to do here!!

Here's my fav photo!

qxvtr7.jpg

Jan

Even the gorgeous photo above does not do justice to the view your eyes will take in.

We just completed this excursion with Casa Dorado. We had 6 vans/boatsful and it went off without a hitch. I've written a review which should be up on the review section under Dawn very soon.

Get the tender tickets for your entire group that morning on the ship, to be on the first tender of independent travelers. There were no displeased travelers, I might add. This is a rare opportunity to see the interior of the Samana peninsula.

Catherine is an American who is married to a Dominican who lived in NY for 20 years. Catherine is a former peace corps volunteer, and was principal of a school in NY. They have a bed and breakfast there in Las Galeras. They do snorkling, whale watching, fishing, and the trip to Playa Rincon. They are the only English speaking ferry to Playa Rincon.

There was some English spoken at one of the restaurants. There were 30 minute massages for $25, also (no English, but Lana had a booklet showing the various choices in massages, and for you to show her your "problem" areas, if any. Very relaxing. She was trained in school in Samana. Catherine also had one of her students learning English with her to help out on translating.

The people were very nice, and very appreciative of having so much business that day, as well.

Everyone says to take a tour in this port to enjoy it more.

Archived