HydroKitty re Philae Light Show

HappyMe_

Hi there,

We returned a few weeks back from similar river cruise that you are taking.

I just want to add a little heads up to you, as I know you had earlier explained in another thread some difficulty you had with an old injury to ankle.

We took a motor type boat which was not easy to board, or easy to disembark for Philae show. You will probably need assistance, there are no steps and you are stepping right on the 'top' of the boat hood, sorry no idea what the word is in nautical terms. It's a bit precarious for anyone, nevermind anyone who has some issues with hips, knees, ankles. Myself being one of them. I am only trying to warn you, not to deter, but please make sure you wear very good shoes, that have excellent tread. I must say, many in our little boat were very generous in lending an extra arm to more than a few of us.

Also re the light show. We preferred overall the Philae production, however, once again, I found the standing part a bit longer than I was comfy, so I looked for a convenient ledge. Also, you are doing this tour at night, and you will already have learned about the uneven ground, with holes, little rocks, big rocks. Take your time and be very careful. If you have a cane it might be a very good idea of using it for this particular tour.

Please enjoy, but keep your safety first at all times. We saw several people, one in our small group, take a very bad tumble. Fortunately the man in our group weathered it all well, but it was a very scary moment.

Thanks Happy Me, I really appreciate your takign the time to respond. Getting on and off the boat doesn't bother me too much since we're "boat" people. I have very sturdy hiking boots recommended by my orthopedist (who's on speed dial) so I'm hoping that I can avoid any serious mishaps. Having been on other tours, I know people are usually very helpful to each other and solicitous of those that need an extra arm, for which I'm very grateful. I was actually more interested in whether or not the show was worth the money because light shows aren't usually something we're interested in. I have booked it though because it sounded very interesting and looked pretty neat walking through the temple with the little lights guiding your way.

Were you satisfied with all that Vantage provided?

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks again for the info.

You are most welcome.

Those hiking boots sound like just the ticket for this trip.

For me, the light show was just ok. (I really think in retrospect, that nervousness over the terrain, did detract from my personal enjoyment). My husband and friends enjoyed it more. We saw both light shows, the one at pyramids as well and to be honest, I couldn't stay awake at the Giza show. Early mornings, long days, take their toll.

Our tour was through Uniworld, so most of the tours were included, which is why we went to both shows. I much preferred the Philae show over the Pyramid one. Probably because there was also the boat cruise added to the light show.

If you are making a choice between the two shows, I feel definitely the Philae one is better.

Happy Thanksgiving American Neighbour (we celebrate your holiday as well as our own, so it's turkey for us tomorrow):)

Archived