Am i the only one??

Bran8778

I'm taking my first cruise (25 days) through the Med in November and am already researching which regions are known for which foods. I have 2 stops in Italy and I know I need Parmiggiano Reggiano as well as olive oil, balsamic and maybe parma ham or proscuitto...and wine! I guess those are the take home items.

In any case, I plan to leave the ship hungry as there is too much good local food to pass up. I'll pack immodium and hope for the best but living in fear is no fun and no way truly experience a fantastic, once in a lifetime trip :)

I get what others are saying - that's just how I'm playing it...bring on the Good Eats!!

I'm taking my first cruise (25 days) through the Med in November and am already researching which regions are known for which foods. I have 2 stops in Italy and I know I need Parmiggiano Reggiano as well as olive oil, balsamic and maybe parma ham or proscuitto...and wine! I guess those are the take home items.

In any case, I plan to leave the ship hungry as there is too much good local food to pass up. I'll pack immodium and hope for the best but living in fear is no fun and no way truly experience a fantastic, once in a lifetime trip :)

I get what others are saying - that's just how I'm playing it...bring on the Good Eats!!

I totally agree. Eating the local food just adds to the experience.

On our travels, DW and I have availed ourselves of the local cuisine, and not from fancy restaurants, either. DW has eaten from street vendors in Cairo without ill effect (despite warnings from her fellows that she was crazy to do so) while her co-travelers got Tutankhamen's Revenge from a "quality" restaurant serving a Western-style menu:p. We lucked into conch fritters and "Belizian Boil-up" at the cafe in the dockside mall in Belize. Belizian Boilup consists of local roots and veggies (potatoes, yams, ripe and green plantain, yucca root), hard-boiled egg, pork tail, and a slab of fish all cooked in a tomato sauce, with a pepper relish/salsa on the side. The fish was close-textured and probably would have been dry if it hadn't been cooked in the sauce. BTW, I asked about the fish and found it was barracuda:eek:, which I would never have eaten normally; it was quite tasty.

If you are someplace you've never been before, why not get a clue about what the locals think is good, preferably home-cooked, food. It tells you a lot about the culture.

p.s.--speaking of local specialties in street food, when in Philadelphia, be sure you go to Geno's Steaks or Pat's King of Steaks, both located at the point of 9th St and Passyunk Avenue, off Wharton St. Ground Zero for cheese steaks. This is an unsolicited testimonial recommendation from someone who appreciates good cheese steaks. You can also visit the street market along 9th street at the same time. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
I love to eat local food. Most of our vacations are land based so we have no choice but to eat local.

One of our favorite Hole in the wall places in Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Rothenberg4.jpg

Brats in Koln, Germany

BrautwitBrotten.jpg

Carne Asada tacos in Playa Del Carmen

ElAsadero1.jpg

my Favorite H.C. Monterey in playa. There is also one in Cozumel now. can't wait to eat there in the middle of June.

P1010124.jpg

Of course you can't forget desert with fresh made ice cream and fresh waffle cones in Playa

DSCF1870.jpg

Now I am hungry and craving cruise adventure food.

I am all about trying new things. We always try snacks at port. But I remember when I was a kid and our family visited Egypt. My mom decided to try pigeon. The waiter went out on the square and grabbed 2 or 3 and asked my mother to pick one. If that wasn't bad enough she did and she ate it too! UGH!

Hi

i have been crusing for al ong time 25+ cruises

i never eat off the ship/

i have already paid for my meals and I DO NOT KNOW

HOW ARE WHERE THE FOOD COMES FROM LOCALLY

I would never consider NOT eating off the ship if the mood (or hunger) struck me. To me, that is just cheap and denying yourself the possible pleasure of enjoying local delicacies.

DO YOU THINK FOOD IS POISONED OR SOMETHING (eh, why yell?) if it doesn't come from Sysco?

That describes me. I know the US standards and see too much from Chef Ramsey, I would be concerned what lurks in other kitchens besides not knowing what they using for meat.

Sadly, there are far too many folks in Podunk Georgia that won't even try unusual dishes or at their own church pot lucks suppers or sold in their own local markets!! Some people are just unadventurous and scared of anything they have never had before or that momma never made them. I'm so glad to not be that way... so much more fun to experience new things!

Sadly, there are far too many folks in Podunk Georgia that won't even try unusual dishes or at their own church pot lucks suppers or sold in their own local markets!! Some people are just unadventurous and scared of anything they have never had before or that momma never made them. I'm so glad to not be that way... so much more fun to experience new things!

LOL and I agree!!

Go to Mexico and not get some locally made tamales and fish tacos? Yikes!!

Walk around Italy and not eat pasta? Scary!!

Head to Alaska and stay away from fresh-caught salmon? Perish the thought!!

Why on earth would I do this? To save room for the generic food waiting for me back on board??

• 3 weeks later...

The best meal I ever had on a cruse was halibut fish and chips from a little stand on the dock in Ketchikan. DH and I still talk about it. If that place is gone if/when we go back we'll be heartbroken. We shared a meal, and with two sodas it was something like $14 five years ago. Worth every penny.

I travel quite a bit with my mom and we have made it our goal to eat ice cream in every country we can. So far, Sweden wins the worldwide ice cream challenge.

I do not eat off the ship

I do not know what the standard of inspection are in other places.

i have paid for ALL my meals

i can have breakfast and thatwill hold me till i get back on ship.

if i think i may need a snack i will take a fruit or pastry off with me

PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON THAT YOU ARE NOT SUPPSOT TO DO THAT

I AM AN ADULT AND I AM CAPABLE OF MAKING MY OWN DECISIONS

Despite your command not to comment, it's not a silly rule that you are breaking, it's the law. Especially to take fruit off the ship. You sure sound like a lot of fun to travel with though.....

I started thinking about this later last night.... for those who will not eat off the ship because they don't know what the health standards are, I have a question. Where is it you think the food on the ship comes from? I'm pretty certain that our US suppliers are not stocking the ship for my upcoming cruise from Venice to Barcelona. On each of the cruises I've been on, I've seen crates of produce and other foods being loaded onto the ship while we were in port. Very few of these ships are US Registry, so there is no requirement that their kitchens follow US health regulations. Just a thought.

Actually, we are not allowed to attack each other personally, which I try very hard not to do.

We can however, comment on the content of what others post.

While I certainly do not begrudge anyone that wants to do all of their eating on the ship, it is against the law to bring any food off the ship that is not pre-packaged. Doing so allows for the possibility of pests to be brought into the country. This is far more serious than the convience of cruise passengers.

LOL You go Bran! Have one with everything for me too! :) You might find this interesting.

New York’s twenty best food carts ranked, in order.

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/33527/

Regarding the taking of food off ship......it sure is a no-no to bring fruits and veges into most ports for good reason, but not all food is banned in all ports. A sandwich is processed food, so that should be ok in most ports.

http://www.ed-hamilton.com/A/DESTINATIONS/1.details/import.html

I started thinking about this later last night.... for those who will not eat off the ship because they don't know what the health standards are, I have a question. Where is it you think the food on the ship comes from? I'm pretty certain that our US suppliers are not stocking the ship for my upcoming cruise from Venice to Barcelona. On each of the cruises I've been on, I've seen crates of produce and other foods being loaded onto the ship while we were in port. Very few of these ships are US Registry, so there is no requirement that their kitchens follow US health regulations. Just a thought.

And to further that thought, no one can supervise all kitchen staff at all times, contamination from personnel is more common than people think :rolleyes:

Archived