Tender or Dock at Calica?

MRIrene

My DM is going to be using a scooter on the Ecstasy in December. Several people have told me that the ship will dock at the rock quarry, but the person that I talked to at Carnival today said it would tender. They said that we may have a problem getting the scooter on the tender. Has anyone been to Calica recently that could answer this question? :confused:

Thanks,

Irene

Hi,

I cruised on Celebrity's Mercury in 2000 and we docked at the rock quarry. I thought that was it until me and my wife got off the ship and roamed toward some park we could see from the upper deck. Lo and behold it was Xcaret (Esh-Car-Et) a nature park which is fast becoming one of the most popular attractions on the entire peninsula. We even found out they had a bus with a lift on it which made getting back and forth in a power chair a breeze. Here's their web site http://www.xcaretcancun.com/ Call or email and find out if the still have the lift equipped bus.:)

Dean

C5/6 Quad

Thanks, Darndean,

I feel much better now. I didn't want Mom to miss out on any of the shopping, sight seeing, etc. They told me on the phone that Ecstasy would tender and she would not be able to get on the tender boat with scooter.

Thanks again,

Irene

• 3 weeks later...

Most cruise lines will not take scooters or power chairs on tenders as this is unsafe for the crew who often have to lift the person in their chair. Take a manual wheelchair with you for use at tender ports, and for use ashore period. Streets and sidewalks are not scooter-friendly anyplace in Mexico (or most of the rest of the Caribbean), and most shops have 1-2 steps at least. Curb cuts are rare. With a manual chair you can bump up a step or two...not with a scooter or power wheelchair.

Guest enjoycruises

Last Spring we were on the Celebration and we docked at the quarry. What a shocker to be left off there. You had a choice of getting into a cab to go elsewhere or to rent a car. Docking there was horrible for the elderly and the disabled. Needless to say,most of these people chose to stay aboard ship.

Archived