Is it normal for departure after your cruise on the Spirit to be late?

Gingee

They had a problem with the customs officers at the port for a couple of weeks recently. Apparently, only about half of the normal allotted officers were there for the cruise coming off last Sunday and it caused a lot of delay and many missed flights. They had a full allotment of officers when we came off this morning and we were off on schduled time and only took about 15 minutes to walk off the ship, grab our luggage, and go through customs. Hopefully today was the solution to whatever problems they have had in past weeks because the disembarkation was really smooth and timely this morning. No delays at all. But it was a huge problem last Sunday with just not enough customs officers to handle 2000 people coming off a ship. They had a full allotment today and things went very well.

I have been reading a few reviews and some people have said that they have late departures once they get back to N.O. on the Spirit. We have a train at 1:45 p.m. Will we probably be late?

We just got off the Spirit today, and disembarkation went very smoothly. There was a problem on December 7 getting everyone off the ship and through Customs, as there were fewer agents than usual. However, today they had several more.

You have a lot of leeway in when you want to leave the ship with NCL. I think the first folks off the ship this morning were off by 8:15 or so. My sense is that you should be fine with your 1:45 train - can't imagine it taking that long. You're not all that far from the Amtrak station when you disembark, and there are always tons of taxis waiting.

Have a great cruise; it was our first with Norwegian and we were VERY pleasantly surprised. It is a gorgeous ship, and we had a wonderful week.

Thanks a lot. I was beginning to worry and wonder if we should change our reservations to the next day (if possible).

pretty much sounds like a one time situation: the Thanksgiving week debarkation went fine, now we hear yesterdays did and others have said, in the past no problems: it sounds like the cruise we took which disembarked on the 7th was the only one affected. The story, about 1/2 of the customs people did not show up for work that day.

Nita

Archived