Barcelona Hotel Feedback

Thanks to those who recommended the Hotel Continental on La Rambla. We just used it.

We took the the Dec 1 Celebrity Century 12/1/08 Transatlantic Barcelona-Miami.

We stayed 3 nights at the Continental before the cruise It is not a 5 Star but it is CLEAN with an outstanding location literally a 2 minute walk to the Place Catalonia and about 4 minutes to the open air market which is not to be missed. It does not look like much from the outside and the actual front desk is on the 2nd floor with only a small old elevator. Had I not read about it in Cruise Critic, and were wallking around scouting out hotels, I would have walked right by not giving it a second thought. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. (they will be expanding and having the lobby on the 1st floor shortly we were told).

The rooms are smallish like most European hotels. They also have a 24 hour coffee bar which is free and in the morning they have cereal, mild breads etc. It they have a coffee machine that grinds each cup fresh and you gent get regular coffee/expresso or cappucino.

This was wonderful especially on our 1st day with jet lag etc. When I woke up at 2AM their time I just went to that area made myself some coffee/had some cinnamon twists and some other pastries that they had, read a book and watched TV all without disturbing my wife. They also offer free soft drinks,juice and bottles of water 24 hours a day. That is really convenient.

We decided to spend the extra money and got a room with a balcony overlooking La Rambla for 112 Euro/night. We could have opted for a smaller room with no view for 72 Euro/night.

Yes you can hear the folks on La Rambla especially on a weekend night but we felt it was worth it. If you go to bed early and are a light sleeper you may not want this type of room.

The cab ride from the airport was 30 Euros with the tip and from the hotel to the ship, it was 15 Euros. You can do it cheaper if you take the "blue bus". I think that is about 5 Euros/pp and stops right at the Place Catalonia.

We liked Barcelona and would go back staying at the Hotel Continental again.

We stayed at the Royal Ramblas, which sounds pretty similar. Right on Las Ramblas, with rooms available on the street side. Similar in price. Very clean and nice attached restaurant. I'd stay there again - or give the Continental a try. I just think if you're going to Barcelona, ya oughtta stay on or near Las Ramblas!!!

We are flying for our first time to Europe from NY.

Trying to decide if we should arrive Friday 9 a.m. or Saturday 9 a.m. Cruise sails on Sunday. Would we need the time to orient ourselves to the time change and jet lag? Is there enough to see/do for a 2 night stay? Or do we need 1 night to recoup and the other to get ready for the cruise the next day? We are not museum seekers so just wondered if LaRambla area is a good one for us.

THANK you for any help/advice you can offer!

Yes there is enought to do.

Buy the two day on-off tourist bus pass. There are two routes - they give you headphones so you can listen to the descriptions of each stop. We did one route the first day-then crashed because of jet lag and did the other on day two. Plus on day two we did more walking around. Don't miss the market which is right off La Rambla when you do.

The two day pass is about 26 Euros and if you only want it for 1 day it is about 19. These bus tours give you a very good overview of the city. On day 3 we did an all day tour to the Monestary at Monserrat. Very interesting. Tour also stopped at a winery. .

I know it is Spain but we had an excellent meal (cottage pie) at an Irish restuarant (Fitzgeralds I think) right off La Rambla and it was fairly reasonable too. There are lots of restaurants around though.

We would go back and spend another 3 days or so if we book another cruise that begins or ends there.

We flew into Barcelona at 9am on a Sat. for our cruise the following day. There is a lot to do there & if you have the chance for 2 nights, do it! We're from central IL & it took almost a day to get there- we were so tired, but had a chance to check out Sagrada Familia (Gaudi) & LaRambla. Had dinner on LaRambla & tried to stay up as long as possible to get on "their time". Then on Sunday prior to boarding, we found an outdoor market right off of LaRambla & had a breakfast of fresh fruits & pastries. Great way to start off the cruise...have a "pre-vacation" before the vacation starts!:p Wish we would've flown in 2 days earlier so we could've seen more.

BTW- the "blue bus" is the way to go! Taxis are way too expensive over there & public trans is so easy & cheap. We paid 3 euros from airport to LaRamblas (although that was last year.) Another idea would be to stay post cruise. We took the train from Barcelona post cruise & went down to Valencia for a couple days. They have a big museum, aquarium & imax...The Titanic display was there at that time. (WOW!)

Have fun!

We flew into Barcelona at 9am on a Sat. for our cruise the following day. There is a lot to do there & if you have the chance for 2 nights, do it! We're from central IL & it took almost a day to get there- we were so tired, but had a chance to check out Sagrada Familia (Gaudi) & LaRambla. Had dinner on LaRambla & tried to stay up as long as possible to get on "their time". Then on Sunday prior to boarding, we found an outdoor market right off of LaRambla & had a breakfast of fresh fruits & pastries. Great way to start off the cruise...have a "pre-vacation" before the vacation starts!:p Wish we would've flown in 2 days earlier so we could've seen more.

BTW- the "blue bus" is the way to go! Taxis are way too expensive over there & public trans is so easy & cheap. We paid 3 euros from airport to LaRamblas (although that was last year.) Another idea would be to stay post cruise. We took the train from Barcelona post cruise & went down to Valencia for a couple days. They have a big museum, aquarium & imax...The Titanic display was there at that time. (WOW!)

Have fun!

How did you handle the luggage on the bus? We're going for an 11-day cruise and head home from Barcelona. We're figuring two suitcases per person and I worry about getting that much luggage to/from airports without taking a taxi.

Little awkward, but it was fine. My husband & I were able to fit almost everything into one large rolling bag (right at 50lbs:D), I had another med. size rolling with two backpacks. We traveled with my parents & brother so we had each other to help pile in the bags on the bus. They look like the buses you would see at the airport with the luggage racks in them. If you take the bus, make sure you are aware of your surroundings...I could see how easy it would be to pick a pocket when someone is busy trying to get luggage on/off a bus. Eventhough I didn't mind taking the bus, I worried about my folks with all the walking (hauling luggage) we had to do. The cab, although pricey, would've taken us to the hotel entrance. So that is something to think about- where is your hotel in relation to where the bus lets you off... we had quite a walk down the middle of busy LaRamblas with luggage in tow:rolleyes: For some, the price of a cab might be worth the trouble.

TexasR&H: noticed you didn't say you were staying in Barcelona pre or post cruise. If you're just getting off the ship in Barcelona & heading right for the airport, then you'll need to take a cab. I don't believe the buses go to the pier.

I have to throw out my recommendation for Hotel Jardi. We stayed there, in a terrace room, Nov 27 and 28, 2008. What an awesome location. We considered the hotel room a place to shower and sleep. We were out and about all day and most of the evenings. Everything we wanted to do was near by. For touring, we rented a GOCAR. That was unbelieveably wonderful. Hotel Jardi was 100 euros per night.

Archived