Craft Lady in Oponhu Bay, Moorea...

Mexfolkart

Just got back from a wonderful tirp on Star Flyer..we stopped at Oponahu (sp?) Bay in Moorea after Cooks Bay and tendered ashore. Where the tender comes in the ladies were set up with their wares..jewelry etc..on the end was a lovely lady and she makes fabulous jewelry and her husband carves a type of "natural" ivory into shapes and pendants etc.

We did not get the piece we both loved..nor did we get her name or website..does anyone have this? Thank you very much!

Have a fabulous trip! It is beautiful over there!

Sherry

Hello...

If this is the same vendor you're looking for, I saw a lot of the jewelry she had for sale when we were there in May.

I recognized two of the pieces as they had been given to me as gifts by two different individual who had purchased them in Alaska. The ivory is actually fossilized walrus ivory and the designer, Zealandia, mixes this material with silver and/or gold and often semi-precious stones. I have an individual turtle pin and a large necklace with three connected turtles.

The vendor initially told me that her husband made all of the jewelry. When I told her that I'd gotten a couple identical pieces from Alaska she explained that she purchases many of the pieces from Zealandia and that her husband purchases some uncut ivory for the simpler ivory pieces.

I just googled Zealandia.com, having purchased other pieces from there, but their site is "under reconstruction". I found another site www.celebrationsca.com which listed all of the designs offered for the last several years and they were available for purchase.

I hope this is helpful. I think that the jewelry is beautiful and unique.

Best of luck.

murphysmum;)

Hi!

I'm so glad that I could be of help. You actually did me a favor. I'd been looking for a special gift for my sister's birthday and I took the time to check the site that I sent you to make sure that you could find what you want (I believe they showed every item available from the people on Moorea.).

They had a beautiful heart with a garnet (her birthstone) which will now make a lovely gift. So, I hope that you found what YOU were looking for and that you enjoy the jewelry.

Happy holidays!

Janed

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.black-pearls-tahiti.com/

Check this one out. There is a pic of the lady. The website only has pearls but we bought a beautiful pearl/ fossilized coral pendant from this lady on Moorea by the pier. She had coral and ivory pieces as well. With animal carvings. She also has some of her pieces in LaJolla and at some of the resorts in Tahiti. She had a whole bunch of unique pieces.

to drifting away (great name!!!) the pearls from this lady - you have purchased from her before? you have some - and did you have them checked out at home to see quality, etc? I am curious, as I am going on my first ever trip to this area (on cruise w/ PG-regent cruises) - and want to get a great string of pearls.....

and I have no idea where to start!!!! and I have found - words of mouth is the best!

thanks!!! :)

Pearls..be sure to check out Robert Wan in Papeete or on the main street in Bora Bora..if nothing else so you know what beautiful pearls look like. There is another good pearl place in Moorea on Cooks Bay..once on land walk up the road to the left and you will pass the small shopping center, an art gallery and come to this shop on the right that is a man's name..he had gorgeous pearls which were maybe more reasonable than some other places. They also had a lady at the dock who would drive you there and you can walk back. Have fun and Good Luck!!

Sherry

I didn't get a string of pearls from her. I got a beautiful piece with a piece of fossilized coral and a pearl. It was very unique and I loved that it had a pearl that came with the certificate etc. I was kind of tired of looking at pearl strands by the end of the trip so this piece was right up my alley.

Archived