Have you used cruise com?

csteck

I have booked a cruise with cruise com but have concerns.

Can I upgrade? My travel agent says no. I must wait and will be assigned the best available cabin.

He discounted the past passenger coupon. Is this the usual policy?

He told me I can't get travel insurance from RCCl, is this normal with a group booking?

Thanks, Carla

Carla steckmyer

Carla,

We've booked 6 cruises with Cruise.com and had no prolems at all. The last two times they asked about insurance before we mentioned it. Not sure about your past passenger coupon, we've never sailed twice on the same cruise line. I think maybe you need to speak to a different agent.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;12;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I've used them 2 times. The first time I received GREAT service. The second time the service was ...ok. but in both cases they handled my cruise request and applied coupon discounts etc.

I will probably use them again.

Bill in Monrovia

"Everyone has some good in them. Sometimes you just have to look a little harder to find it..."

6/27 Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I just booked a cruise w/ cruise.com and having a horrible time. I booked 3 cabins and was putting just the deposit down; my TA booked 2 w/ the deposit and one w/ full price which overdrew my account. Now Im told I have to speak directly to her to get my fees credited but she won't return my calls. No one else is willing to help me. I want to book another cruise with them as well but am afraid to do so due to the current problems. They are, however, the cheapest that i've found.

First cruise - 2/23/04 - Can't Wait!

Renee

Did you book one of those June Canadian cruises? I guess I can't help you. But I always assumed if you were booking within 90 days of the cruise you were later than the final payment date so you would have to pay the total amount. Maybe I am wrong, but I did pay the total at time of booking.

I booked three cruises with Cruise.com. The first two were individual bookings with no coupons or discounts, but great rates, so we were happy. We got our documents and went on the cruise. Pretty painless.

The third time, based on our two other positive experiences with them, we booked a group of 38 with them. Things began just fine, but a month into our booking, our agent left Cruise.com. The agent who took over our booking refused to honor agreements made between our group and the cruise line. Namely, they imposed a $25pp cancellation fee that our original agent said he would waive. Cruise.com makes no mention of this company policy, but it is detailed on your invoice. All of our agents in the past have waived this fee, but the person who took over our booking refused.

As it turned out, no one cancelled, but I was still bothered by this. Another issue we had was concerning C&A coupons. There were several people, including me and my husband, who did want to use a coupon. Only 85% was applied to our bookings. No, this is NOT standard policy at Cruise.com. Individual agents have lots of latitude I learned, and our new agent said she would have to retain her commission. Our original agent said he would apply any coupon's full face value. Our other agents at Cruise.com said they would honor 100% of the coupon as well, but we didn't have one to use at the time.

Finally, there was a huge disagreement with how our group's GAP points would be used (unique to groups) and what amentities our group would get. Well, the fact that our agent kept all the GAP points for herself for a bonus commission was the "straw that broke the camels back". We asked, no begged, to have Cruise.com release our booking. We even spoke to people at Royal Caribbean who referred us back to Cruise.com. The $25pp cancellation fee would have been too much to pay, so we didn't change booking agents, and lived without any group perks (except the TC credit which our group divided). The cruise was the best ever, and I came away learning a big lesson.

First off, there are good people at Cruise.com. The agents (like anywhere else) have a lot of latitude when it comes to your booking. We just happened to get an uncooperative agent. Cruise.com does a lot of business with Royal Caribbean and as a result, Royal Caribbean will always defer to Cruise.com, one of their biggest sellers. A tiny group like mine stood no chance when pitted up against such a big corporation. With that said, I will never book another cruise with Cruise.com.

Make sure you ask about their cancellation policy and if your agent is willing to waive the fee, get it in writing. I doubt there is much that can be done about your coupon.

Good luck.

Suzi

05 July 2004 Cruise Aboard Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas

21 November 2004 Cruise Aboard Carnival's Pride

20 February 2005 Cruise Critic Group Cruise Aboard Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas

Archived