Which Mayan ruins?

steveo2916

We'll be in Belize Thanksgiving week. Princess offers tours to Altun Ha and to Cahal Pech. Thinking of taking my 7yo. Any recommendations? OR would the Chacchoben or Kohunlich/Dzibanche ruins at Costa Maya be better? Am told the Belize area was the heart of the Mayan culture. Any thoughts?? Thanks,

SteveO.

I posted to another board about wanting suggestions for which ones to visit and I think we are going to Altun Ha. My hubby wants to walk to the top of one and the people who posted said you could there and that you could see the ocean from the top. There were pictures which looked wonderful!

The thread is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=99619

Hope that helps!

We were on the NCL Sun in October and did the tour of Altun Ha. Really enjoyed it, but I don't believe you can see the ocean from the top. We booked with Phil's Tours which was a lot cheaper than the ship. He was very knowledgeable about the Maya history and spoke excellent english. He also offers other tours, if interested check out his web site http://www.seabelize.com

Another choice for guides is Mark McField *(email: markmcf@btl.net) He is a trained archeologist, English fluent, and has an air conditioned 7-8 passenger van. He trains a number of the local guides in Belize to give tours and then offers some of his own as well.

We have chosen Altun Ha and asked to do some birding at Altun Ha as wel. There is a walk to a resevoir at the site which provides opportunities for possible bird sitings of toucans and other local birds). We also requested a lunch stop at Mayan Wells restaurant, a Belizean authentic restaurant owned by an American and his Belizean wife.

Mark will take you where you would like to go within the time limits of port time available. The cost for our tour is $45 per person plus lunch cost. You will pay less if you have a group rather than just 2 as we do.

Our tour is in December so can't tell you more details, but Mark was very responsive (24 hours response to emails or even quicker) and has given us a location to meet at the dock shops and provided his cell phone number. You don't pay until you return to the docks.

Enter his name in to search and you'll see comments by others who have taken his tours.

You bet...I've already bought the stuff with DEET. I understand Roatan and Belize are notorious for no-seeums and mosquitos. However, living in Charleston we have both of those plus chiggers to battle. We will be well experienced! LOL

Actually it's already in the total price since it's right there. But if the bugs are swarming, we'll do something else I'm sure.

Archived