what to bring to Egypt for guides/gifts

CruisinEurope

paper cash not euro one euro coins they have a hard time exchanging them...

there is really nothing that you can give them that they can't buy themselves much cheaper than you would pay for it.

a egyptian 1 pound note is about 1/8 of a euro.

If the parents have them begging they are looking for cash and giving them anything else just might get them beaten.

The guides work mainly for tips(in fact most guides get paid nothing from the company)... That is why they take you to favorites stores because the store kicks back to them as much as 50% of what you purchase. That is how they make a living the store gets customers and the guide gets paid(that is the way it is in Egypt)....baksheesh is a way of life in Egypt so give them cash. Small egyptian notes are the hardest to find. You also need them for the bathrooms(to get toilet paper).....one pound notes work wonders. so do US $1 notes...euros where the smallest note is 5 e's is a small fortune....

sorry - should have said beyond cash. That is a "given" for me .. and we will be sure to bring plenty of singles and 5s for tipping/etc.

Was wondering more about novelty things that would be appreciated... along the lines of the woman who brought ball point pens (in addition to cash).

Thanks!

he played Hans Christian Anderson...in wonderful wonderful coperhagen

AHHH

Ok!

I'm not from Copenhagen... just living here now. We're from Connecticut.

:D

I'll have to look around and see what fun trinkets I can find now that everything is on sale after Christmas. :rolleyes:

I took many bags of lollipops and gave them to the children. You have to be careful so as not to get mobbed!

I also took several beautiful scarves for the guides wives. For the guides I took ball caps.

And most surprizingly, I took many bottles of cheap nail polish and tubes of lipstick. The ladies in the black berkas asked for polish and lipstick!

AHHH

Ok!

I'm not from Copenhagen... just living here now. We're from Connecticut.

:D

I'll have to look around and see what fun trinkets I can find now that everything is on sale after Christmas. :rolleyes:

Ive been to Copenhagen 4 times. Great city. I also have been to the City where Hans Christian Andersen was born and to his house. The first time we were in Copenhagen we went to Tivoli Gardens and as we entered the band there started playing wonderful wonderful copenhagen.....meant to be.

PS Ive been to Ct too...my summer house was in Westbrook....

I took many bags of lollipops and gave them to the children. You have to be careful so as not to get mobbed!

I also took several beautiful scarves for the guides wives. For the guides I took ball caps.

And most surprizingly, I took many bottles of cheap nail polish and tubes of lipstick. The ladies in the black berkas asked for polish and lipstick!

See! This is why I love this board so much!

What a neat idea!! My daughter would LOVE to give out nailpolish to the driver/guides for thier wives! How fun!

My son can give them ball caps! VERY neat!

THANK YOU!

Archived