"Run of the ship" HAL & Eurodam

giginevelyn

I have been on many cruises and multiple cruiselines (this would be first time on HAL), but have never booked "run of the ship." My choices are very limited for a March sailing on the Eurodam and we are looking at possibly booking this way. My cruise agent says it can go either way. We could be pleasantly surprised with an upgrade or end up with a less than desireable room all the way at the back or front. I have never been on a ship anywhere but midship, so I am not sure how it feels to be all the way back or forward. I would really appreciate hearing from those who have booked this way and the pros and cons of it on HAL and the Eurodam. It would be for a Verandah stateroom.

I have been on many cruises and multiple cruiselines (this would be first time on HAL), but have never booked "run of the ship." My choices are very limited for a March sailing on the Eurodam and we are looking at possibly booking this way. My cruise agent says it can go either way. We could be pleasantly surprised with an upgrade or end up with a less than desireable room all the way at the back or front. I have never been on a ship anywhere but midship, so I am not sure how it feels to be all the way back or forward. I would really appreciate hearing from those who have booked this way and the pros and cons of it on HAL and the Eurodam. It would be for a Verandah stateroom.

Be careful about what the TA is telling you. "Run of the Ship" usually means anything on the ship, starting with an inside cabin. What you are describing is usually called a Verandah Guarantee. With a Verandah Guarantee you will get a balcony somewhere. The usual advice is never book less than you would be happy with and don't expect an upgrade.

Rich

HAL uses the term "guarantee", not "run of the ship". A HAL guarantee means you will be assigned a cabin at the guarantee category or above. So, if you book an VH guarantee you'll be assigned an VH or higher cabin of the cruiseline's choice. You won't be assigned a cabin below the guarantee category.

In all of our cruises, we have only booked a particular cabin number once (to ensure having my parents as our neighbors with adjoining balconies).

We have been the third balcony from the front on Deck 9, the second cabin from the front on Deck 4 (in a handicapped cabin assigned one week before sailing), the last cabin on Deck 5... Once we were near an elevator.

We aren't picky people, so we haven't been upset with our assignments. DH has developed more sensitivity to movement in recent years... the Deck 4 front moved up and down a lot as the bow encountered waves in the Pacific (DH was "out of the action" for the evening), and the Deck 5 aft cabin had more side to side motion (with orientation of the bed making the movement from our feet to our heads). The same aft movement could be felt in the dining room.

There is a chance of getting an undesireable location. We were awakened quite often on port days by the "mechanics" of docking (lowering the mooring ropes, anchor, etc.).

I was disturbed on the thinness of the walls on the Statendam. I've never heard people in other cabins before. Examples: I heard another cabin's phone ringing; there was a fussy kid who obviously wasn't a morning person across the hall; I heard a kid awaken from a nightmare and being comforted by his mother; I heard a kid getting a spanking and mom yelling, "I told you not to do that!" I've never experienced that level of "togetherness" on any other sailing... only the awareness of when others flush toilets (and perhaps a shower).

Once I am inside the cabin I can not tell if it is in the front, middle or back.

Doesn't seem to matter where my cabin is I am always going to the other end of the ship.

I think you will walk about the same regardless of where the cabin is.

I do think that the center of the ship and the lower decks have less motion if sea sickness is one of your considerations.

We booked late our first HAL cruise and ended up choosing the back of the boat over the front, due to advice here. I love it! I find it so easy to run up the stairs to the lido for coffee or to the bar/ pool. Then at dinner its just a jump down to the rest. i really don't see any advantage of being in the middle on a vista. I found it much easier to get my bearings than on other ships I have been on. We always book aft now.

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked for a Baltic cruise on Eurodam this summer and have been assigned a VT cabin on the Observation Deck. Has anyone had experience with such? One of our group has seasick tendencies. Thanks.

We are booked for a Baltic cruise on Eurodam this summer and have been assigned a VT cabin on the Observation Deck. Has anyone had experience with such? One of our group has seasick tendencies. Thanks.

We are considering a May 23 or June 22 Baltics trip on the Eurodam. We had an inside aft cabin on a Panama Canal cruise last year and while the location is good for the reasons cited in other posts, I could hear the engines and feel some rumble at night. For our next trip we are considering inside midships - now I'm wondering if the comments about this being more confusing are accurate?

Archived