Mexican Riviera ports with a walker??

luv2trvl2

My Mom and Dad are on a 10 day cruise going to Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo. They are in their early 80s, and my Mom had two hip replacements and walks with a cane. She just got a walker that has a seat and a little storage area, and just loves it. She wanted to know if she could bring it on the shore excursions in Mexico. That way if she gets tired of standing somewhere, she has the built in seat to sit down wherever she may be. I remember rough pavement and not a lot of accessibilty, and thought she might be better with a cane.

Does anyone have experience in these ports that could give some helpful hints?

I would think that she could use her walker OR a cane. If her walker folds, it can be put underneath, in the luggage compartment on a bus, or in the trunk of a taxi. My Mom has a similar walker and loves it, too, and hers folds. We didn't go to Mexico with it, but to Alaska, and we took a bungee cord to keep it folded when it was stored. I took my folding wheelchair to Mexico, and they did fold that and put it underneath the bus............and I used it for shore excursions. We didn't always find curb cuts just where we wanted them, and had to do some "creative street crossing", and sometimes, I had to stand while we got the chair over some really rough stuff, but it was do-able, and I think it would be easier with a walker, as long as your Mom or her companions, had enough strength to lift it over a curb, and she could step over the curb. I'm guessing she could step up or down as you are speaking of taking a shore excursion. If she were to take a tour on a bus, they all seem to have three pretty steep steps. There are hand holds, though, to pull oneself up.........down is a bit more difficult. I just go backwards. :)

Archived