tipping question???

Warrior64

Will be doing the sting ray and snorkel trip with captain marvin, and just wondering how much we should tip for 3 people? Also if anyone has been on this one, What did you take with you? and where do you leave it while in the water? Thanks so much. Just trying to be prepared!

When we went with Captain Marvins they had a tip jar so we didn't tip the individuals. I agree with the $5/person in your group taking the excursion. We take a bag with our snorkel gear, sunscreen, towels, cameras and whatever cash and/or credit cards we think we will need. We also took water but we didn't need it because they had water on board. We just leave everything in our bag while we are in the water.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

We did a similar excursion through Carnival in Grand Cayman. There were three people working on the boat that took us to the stingrays, snorkelling. The captain, the first mate and an assistant (second mate?) The latter two gave instructions on snorkelling and what to do when swimming with the stingrays as well as video taping the party on the boat and keeping us happy by offering snacks and drinks. They were also quite comical. The boat we were on held about 24 people and we tipped $20.00. ( For 4 of us, so $5.00 each.) That seemed to be what most people were giving so we went along with the crowd. Have fun! BTW, this is one of the best excursions I've ever done.

No worries on the boat. If someone takes something, you will find it before you get back to the dock.... Where they gonna go before you catch them.

Our group 2 years ago was fairly small 15-20.

Capt Marvin's is much better than going on one of the ship sponsored tours. Much less crowded!!!

Also, they don't charge you if the waters are too rough and your ship can't tender in.

Have Fun... We will be there again this Thursday.

Hi Warrior64, I'm from Elyria, too. We have done the trip with Capt. Marvin twice now and will be doing it again, with other family members, in February. I would recommend them to anyone. Nice guys! So much better than the trip booked through Carnival and better priced also. Your items will be fine on the boat. We tipped $5 per person also, but it’s whatever you feel. Some people didn’t tip at all. We handed the cash directly to the gentleman in charge and trusted he would disburse the money. If you have any questions, let me know. It is an amazing trip!

Thanks for the info. We are doing the sting ray and snorkel tour. Just wondering if you did that one too, my daughter is hoping to see starfish when snorkeling. Any chance you saw any? Also where do they drop you off after the tour? We are hoping to have time for some shopping or a beach close to ship. Thanks so much

Yes, we saw starfish. If you mention it to the guys running the excursion, they will do their best to point them out to you and maybe bring one to the surface for you to examine. There will be a crewmember in the water with you. They point out interesting creatures. Be sure you let your daughter know that the rays are like friendly puppies. They know you are bringing them treats, so they are excited to see you. They will swim up to you and brush up against you. Be sure to shuffle your feet when you are walking with them, so you don’t step on them. They will be all over you and some of the kids were a bit nervous at first.

You will need to take a tender boat off your ship. It takes time. When you get off the boat, you will walk from the pier to the tour shop, which is just down the road (about a 7 minute walk). When you book online, they will send you an email and give you directions. Once at the tour shop, they will sign you in, collect the fees and shuttle you to the boat dock where Captain Marvin has his boats. They will return you to this same tour shop when your trip is over. You will be in Georgetown, the main shopping area for Grand Cayman. You will have time to do some shopping. There is no beach right there. This area has an iron shore, which is great for snorkel, but not for swimming. The REALLY NICE beaches (7 Mile Beach) are up the road just a bit. A bus or taxi could take you there, but you need to watch your time. I’m not sure you would have enough time.

We spent a week on Grand Cayman, Christmas 2007. Let me know if you have any other questions. This is my favorite port!

When we were on Captain Marvin's they did bring a large starfish up to the boat for everyone to get a closer look. If you want to get some beach time in after your excursion you could ask them to drop you off on 7 mile beach on the way back to the pier. You can easily get a cab or the bus back from there. We did this with one of the other operators and they had no problem dropping us off. This will save you some time instead of going past the beach and then having to go back even though it is only a couple of miles. Of course this all depends on the time you have between when your excursion ends and the time you need to catch the tender.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Archived