Can a guaranty cabin change, once assigned?

mimicsr

I've booked "gty" cabins several times before and it would always show "TBA" on the RCCL website until 2-3 weeks or so before the cruise, many times with a several category upgrade. We just booked Jan. 1st for August Alaska and my cabin is already showing up as assigned with a 1-category upgrade. What is the likelihood of it staying that way, or could it perhaps be reassigned closer to the cruise time? Mind you, I'm not really complaining, just wondering if there is a possibility for a better upgrade.

I've booked "gty" cabins several times before and it would always show "TBA" on the RCCL website until 2-3 weeks or so before the cruise, many times with a several category upgrade. We just booked Jan. 1st for August Alaska and my cabin is already showing up as assigned with a 1-category upgrade. What is the likelihood of it staying that way, or could it perhaps be reassigned closer to the cruise time? Mind you, I'm not really complaining, just wondering if there is a possibility for a better upgrade.

You could always ask to be be put back in the pool.....and hope for a better outcome. We have also booked gtys and have been VERY pleased....but if we weren't, I wouldn't hesitate to ask to go back into the pool.

Yes, they can, but it's highly unlikely. Once assigned they usually won't change it unless someone specifically requests that room... which is highly unlikely. (Unless of course you have been assigned a famous or infamous room, like the one on the Brilliance.)

As for an upgrade, personally, I don't think it's an upgrade unless it moves category. To move from a BC to a BB, for example, is just a lateral move. Maybe a room higher up or a room in a better location, but not really a change in room size or view.

If a cruise is particularly empty, you will likely see more of a change with a guarantee, with moves from category to category. Especially when there are a lot of balconies on the ship and they aren't being booked. For example, a large ship doing the last runs of South America or off-season. (We moved up two categories from inside to balcony, once.)

Your cruise is mid-season, I would pretty much guarantee that you won't get a category change. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Archived