1st Time in Progresso, need LOTS of advice

Le Cruiser

Myself and Madame Le Cruiser (and another sailing buddy couple) are sailing on the Carnival Valor 4/5/09 and will be first-timing it in Progresso. I've been reading everyone's reviews and posts (very helpful as always) and will solicit a bit more from everyone. I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions for:

1) Your absolutely "don't miss under any circumstances" place/thing to do

2) Your choice for a ruins tour - we may split the couples up as Madame

Le Cruiser isn't much in the way of history

3) Everyone's pick for souveniers/shopping area.

I'm very much looking forward to Progresso, as all I've read points to a more "real" community or accurate picture of how the people actually live. And I will thank everyone here for their past posts and suggestions, and in advance for their further help.

We got back this afternoon from our trip to Progreso and Cozumel. I enjoyed Progreso MUCH better this time - the locals are friendly, and much more honest than in Cozumel, where the taxi prices change in route, and many 'merchants' will demand cash only - and have fluctuating exchange rates.

We used the taxi service in the market at the end of the pier (auto progreso) and ended up with a van, and a driver for the day for $25! He took us to Dzibalchaltun, got us a discount, spoke to one of the guides who was a friend of his (AND a Mayan descendent) waited with us, then at HIS suggestion, we went into Merida (where everyone knew him...) showed us some of the photo ops in Merida, shopping spots, and then we we mentioned that we wanted Cervesas, he took us to a quaint little cantina, where we had the BEST nachos of our life, and several Sols for an unbelievable price. The owner was friendly, and funny and made our lunch the highlight of the day.

Ask for Jose if you try this, and you won't be disapointed.

We got back this afternoon from our trip to Progreso and Cozumel. I enjoyed Progreso MUCH better this time - the locals are friendly, and much more honest than in Cozumel, where the taxi prices change in route, and many 'merchants' will demand cash only - and have fluctuating exchange rates.

We used the taxi service in the market at the end of the pier (auto progreso) and ended up with a van, and a driver for the day for $25! He took us to Dzibalchaltun, got us a discount, spoke to one of the guides who was a friend of his (AND a Mayan descendent) waited with us, then at HIS suggestion, we went into Merida (where everyone knew him...) showed us some of the photo ops in Merida, shopping spots, and then we we mentioned that we wanted Cervesas, he took us to a quaint little cantina, where we had the BEST nachos of our life, and several Sols for an unbelievable price. The owner was friendly, and funny and made our lunch the highlight of the day.

Ask for Jose if you try this, and you won't be disapointed.

I like the itinerary you got for the day, I can only hope we end up with a day that pleasant.... but.... I REFUSE to get off the ship in Mexico and yell for JOSE!!!!! Are you saying he is Auto Progreso van driver, or one of the guides?

Actually, our van driver/city guide and our other guide at Dzibilchaltun were both named Jose. :) Our room steward, head waiter and parasail driver were all named Jorge. (but pronounced George). I guess they feel these are the names Gringos can most likely pronounce nearly correctly.

When in Progreso at what I call the flea market..............Go across the street and walk through the 'real' market. This is where residents buy their food, etc. Don't miss the fresh meat area. After seeing this, you will really appreciate the States and USDA regulations!

Venture a few blocks away from the tourist area and you will find some interesting little shops. Not too may speak English, though. So brush up on your basic Spanish if wanting to deal!

Jose and Maria are popular names, not because gringos can almost always pronounce them (as if we had a choice of naming ourselves and would do so to make life easier for gringos) but because of the catholic religion, in which Maria (Jesus's mom) and her hubby Jose.

Archived