Samana???

bola

This is our first time visiting Samana. Are we tendered in? If so

do the tenders run regularly? Also, how far is the town from the dock?

Is there shopping, restaurants, bars??? Not sure if we want to do a tour.

Would welcome all suggestions!

Scroll down this page until you come to Ports of Call. Click "Dominican Republic" and you will find a wealth of information and opinion!

I have not been yet (going in two weeks) but yes, tenders are used. There are even pictures of the distance between the ship and shore, ship and Cayo Levantado (ship is about half way between the two). If you go to Cayo the tender leaves directly from the ship and you bypass Samana. If you take the Caves and Mangroves tour, it leaves by speed boat from the ship and bypasses Samana.

Dominican products to be had for a song are coffee, rum, vanilla, cigars. There are always crafts, too.

This is our first time visiting Samana. Are we tendered in? If so

do the tenders run regularly? Also, how far is the town from the dock?

Is there shopping, restaurants, bars??? Not sure if we want to do a tour.

Would welcome all suggestions!

This is the one port I would recommend an excursion

We did the Cayo Levantado and loved it!

I want to see some of the interior of the peninsula and the only way to do that is to take a taxi. Casadoradodr.com puts together a van/taxi to Las Galeras on the north shore, and a boat trip to the beach for $26 per person ifyou have 10 (find others on your roll call). We will pass through some villages, drive on a paved road, pass a marble mine, and be able to see a little of what the coutryside is like on a 45 minute ride. Then we will pass deserted beaches on the way to Playa Rincon. Once there there are a few restaurants which allow you to pick out your own fish, lobster etc. and have it grilled right there. There are also massages and horse back riding. Chairs available to rent on the beach. 2 miles of nothing but beach in a "corner" which is what rincon means. it's not like going to an all inclusive, which is also an option for a ship's excursion, or even the tender to Cayo Levantado. It's for more adventurous travelers. They also offer fishing and snorkling trips for a little more.

The ship also has trips to the NW coast of the Samana peninsual stopping at either a whale museum & la churcha or a botanical gardens.

Some have enjoyed the caves and mangroves excursion by speed boat, also.

I have heard no reports on the walking tour of Samana where you do not take a taxi or boat anywhere.

Archived