Land Rover Jungle Tour Excursion in Belize

stjude95

• 4 weeks later...

The mud and ruts were up to the door handles at times and it was hard going fast (so not to get stuck) and hitting the ruts! My husband said it was one of his favorite shore excursions he has ever been on! I was holding on for dear life! It was not just a scenic jungle tour. I really enjoyed the river part of the tour.

Kris

My husband and I went on this tour last February and had a GREAT time! It is very rough, though.

You begin this adventure by taking a river boat ride directly from the ship to what they called a 'farm' where they keep the Land Rovers (about 45 minute river ride). The river was amazing. Then, you get in your Land Rover and drive for a little while on paved roads until all of a sudden the operator's Land Rover in the front of the line turns right, and you're in the jungle! You drive for awhile through the crazy ruts in the jungle and then stop to explore a cave. The cave was neat, but nothing overly impressive. Next, you get back in your Land Rover and drive the rest of the way through the jungle to a clearing with a river and suspension bridge where you stop for lunch. Afterwards, you're taken on a bus back to Belize City to shop and take a tender back to the ship.

The tour operator likened the experience to driving in snow, but we're from Ontario and we've never experienced driving quite like this. All of the Land Rovers except for ours and the one directly in front of us had to be 'unstuck' at one point or another by the tour operators. So, in conclusion, it was really fun, but quite an adventure! Here are some pictures...

n518162507_340135_7860.jpg

n518162507_340137_522.jpg

n518162507_340139_2195.jpg

n518162507_340140_3017.jpg

n518162507_340148_9783.jpg

n518162507_340150_1375.jpg

• 1 month later...

You are in a group of Land Rovers fully supervised by the company. I don't think you would need additional insurance it is just mud and ruts that you are driving through. Or if you are worried about health insurance then that is another story. I guess you could get hurt? If you have a bad back or neck do not go on this excursion! I ended up with a couple of bruises from getting bounced around.

You have to walk back to the caves, there are some steps to go up and some rocks to climb on. The part that some people didn't like was that you had to kind of crawl in some spots to go thru the caves or "squat walk" in some spots. There are some tight spots in the cave.

I am really bummed, we found this excursion on the carnival website, but when we go to our cruise it is not offered:(. Do more excursions open up when you get on the cruise, there aren't many choices online.

Thanks for the suggestion to call, I called today and they weren't much help. I'm hoping that maybe it will become available before we cruise, if not we will have a plan B. No need to stress, after all we are going on a cruise:)

Tinkerbell, No we cruise in 22 days. I think it is strang too. On the carnival website under excursions there are 3 pages of excursions, but under our cruise, there are maybe 10-15 to pick from. I called my pvp and he transferred me to someone else, but she said it wasn't offered on our cruise. It is deceiving to show such a long list then not offer them:( especially when you use the first list and your family gets psyched to do something then you can't book it. Still hoping it will turn up:)

Thanks for the info, Tinkerbell. So would you think the "3" physical rating that Carnival gives it (out of 4) is more because of the rough ride and the cave crawling than the hiking/climbing? I'm just a little paranoid because I went on a hike on Dominica that was rated a 3 and it nearly killed me, despite the fact I'm in fairly decent shape. I'm not good with steep terrain.

It is not steep or anything there are "rock" steps and trees to hold on to. It is not a hard hike. They don't rush you or anything and do help you if you need it. The also help you in the caves. The land rover is just a rough ride in the land rover. Remember that the land rover is a stick shift also. It had been raining for days and that is what made the ride rougher for us. Have a great time I am sure you will. My son had done the cave tubing and enjoyed that. Or the ATV tour looked fun.

I can't drive a manual transmission- will they teach me or is this a necessity to be able to drive?

We just did this excursion and we had a jeep for the four of us but if you cannot drive a stick shift, you can just ride with someone else who does. A couple of the land rovers had 6 people in it.

Archived