Anyone gone to Los Haitises Nat'l Park, Mangroves & Caves, Cayo Lavando?????

Want to Sail Away

Hi everyone,

We're going to Samana on an NCL cruise in March. They offer an excursion to Los Haitises Nat'l Park, Mangroves & Caves, and Cayo Lavando a private island. Has anyone gone on this excursion?? I'm hoping to hear whether it was good and worth the cost or if anyone has heard of private tour companies that also run tours to these destinations.

I'm having a hard time finding anything on this so any info would be appreaciated! Thanks!:)

Hi everyone,

We're going to Samana on an NCL cruise in March. They offer an excursion to Los Haitises Nat'l Park, Mangroves & Caves, and Cayo Lavando a private island. Has anyone gone on this excursion?? I'm hoping to hear whether it was good and worth the cost or if anyone has heard of private tour companies that also run tours to these destinations.

I'm having a hard time finding anything on this so any info would be appreaciated! Thanks!:)

I did go on a Los Haitises/Levantado excursion through a different cruiseline, so can't vouch that it will be exactly the same. But I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Anyway:

Tender-sized boat picks you up at ship. 45 minute fast ride to the park; if seas are rough, it will be bumpy. We cruised around looking at a few dozen little islets off the shore; there is a breakwater here from an old rail line, so the water is smooth. Numerous vultures, egrets and other birds on the islands.

Mangroves are also viewed by water. These have extensive root systems which form a dense tangle over and under the water. Mangroves act much like a shock absorber taking the impact of stormwaters and winds; they also gather soil around their roots, anchoring the shore. As well as habitat for fish.

We exited boats and visited two caves: a large one with some Taino Indian pictographs (rock drawings) from about 1,000 years back, and a rather interesting hole in the roof framing the dark green jungle. Footing in the cave is somewhat uneven on the rock floor and there is some mild difference in elevation, though nothing really strenuous to anyone without severe mobility restrictions. Short hike to/from cave. Then visited a sand-floored cave. Also not strenuous, but not a walk on a ballroom floor either, so wear appropriate footwear and exercise caution.

In general, the park visit would seem to require at least a moderate interest in nature and native peoples. It is not a party trip.

45-minute ride back to Cayo Levantado. This is a small island half-leased by the cruise lines, tame, has a moderate-sized beach, restrooms, a bit of entertainment. Food is available but not free. It's relaxing and attractive. Tender back to the ship.

Thanks for everyones help! Lard Greystoke, did you enjoy the excursion? Would you recommend it to future cruisers? NCL is charging $79-$89 per person, do you think it's worth it? We're not interested in a party excursion (two teenagers with us), more a bit of an adventure. For example, we enjoyed the myan ruins, and dunns river falls in Jamaica. What do you think? Thanks for your help!:)

Thanks for everyones help! Lard Greystoke, did you enjoy the excursion? Would you recommend it to future cruisers? NCL is charging $79-$89 per person, do you think it's worth it? We're not interested in a party excursion (two teenagers with us), more a bit of an adventure. For example, we enjoyed the myan ruins, and dunns river falls in Jamaica. What do you think? Thanks for your help!:)

I did enjoy it, but I like learning things. I rate the Mayan ruins as a "must see" for anyone with the opportunity to see them. I would not rate this quite as highly. It is unique, and if you are the sort of people who can read or watch the occasional National Geographic and not find it utterly boring, you will take away something worthwhile. Just don't expect to have cowboys shooting at you.

The scenery is moderately photogenic. If an Iowa cornfield is a 1 and Tahiti a 10, this is about a 4 or 5. There are numerous islets which make a fairly attractive picture, and you would want to record the pictographs and mangrove roots, but I have seen landscapes more dramatic. The caves are interesting to be in, but the light is tough to make a good picture.

I also booked through a (different) cruise line, and paid something similar. In terms of bang per buck I wouldn't rate this as the best bargain; on the other hand it requires a powerful boat and several people to handle it along with a guide. In the end I can say "I saw a mangrove forest, some tangible evidence of the now extinct Tainu Indians and how they lived, as well as the geography of part of the earth I may never see again", in return for whatever I forked over. As long as you're going all those xxxx miles to be somplace, you've got to do SOMETHING while you're there.

Another thing regarding price: on the cruiseline I was on they tendered you to Cayo Levantado free of charge, so that wasn't an issue. If NCL charges for that separately, including it in this excursion does add to your "bang for the buck". The Cayo is attractive and relaxing after a half-day being bounced around a speedboat. (Check to see if excursion offers food, it isn't free on the island).

I am moderately enthusiastic about this trip. I considered several other options such as whalewatching and a trip to waterfall, and I doubt if I would have regretted either one. If NCL charges separately for the Cayo including it with this trip might be a fair deal; don't know that I'd want to spend all day on the Cayo, but it's a pretty spot to relax for a bit after an energetic morning.

Bottom line: pick this, the whales, jeep or whatever, and enjoy Samana. I will check for further questions.

Lard Greystoke, thank you so much for your detailed account of the excursion. Cayo would be included in the price so that's definitely a bonus. It sounds really interesting to all of us, we just have to determine if the 45 minute speed boat ride will be ok. We're going in March so I hope the seas may be a bit calmer?? None of us are prone to sea sickness so it might be ok. Thanks again!!

Archived