RCI Brilliance/Jewel VS. Celebrity Solstice

Alan13

I just returned from the Solstice last Sunday and was going to post a review but decided to do this instead.

The Solstice was the most beautiful ship I've ever sailed. Beautiful furnishings and art, incredible amount of public spaces, large cabin/balcony with lots of storage space and for me the best food. I never had a bad thing in the dining room.

BUT:

I am a young 61 and very active and there were really old passengers on Solstice. There also happened to be a lot more rude people than I've ever encountered on RCI ships.

I do not think the staff was as friendly as on Jewel or Brilliance.

I missed the Seaview Cafe, golf course, men's/women's steam and saunas in the changing rooms.

And being a Diamond/Elite Member. I really, really missed the Concierge Lounges. I love going to the one on Brilliance in the morning where it is quiet, I can make my own coffee and eat lightly. Plus I get to know the morning people.

Then at Night going to the Hollywood Bar/Concierge Lounge for Drinks and Hors'douvres. It really turns into a family every night.

On Solstice we would have a drink in a different lounge every night. It got very expensive and we never got to know too many people.

The coupons were pathetic. We used the one for Bingo and match play and that was it.

We did go to Captain's Club party, Elegant Tea and the Wine Tasting but I've been to similar on Radiance Class Ships.

I did not think there was anything special about being Elite on The Solstice.

I am sailing alone on the Brilliance next January 2010 from Barcelona to Dubai. I would feel very alone on the Solstice but will feel right at home on the Brilliance.

Yes, I will sail Equinox, Elcipse, etc. in the future.

But I much prefer the Radiance Class and the whole Royal Caribbean experience. Yes, there are more kids and a lot more announcements. But it's just a lot more fun on Royal Caribbean.

Just my thoughts!

Happy Cruising to whatever ship you are on this year!

Alan

Archived