Time for reflection

Sauvignon

I came to this forum in search of of information, ideas and perhaps re-assurance mainly in respect of which excursions to take while in Alaska.

The forum is absoutely a goldmine in terms of the information available however, the constant enthusing about which excursion is better or best, how this or that should or shouldn't be done can at times be unhelpful, confusing or at worst frightening.

My advice is to choose what appeals to you most and feels right. There isn't a single best 'solution' to seeing Alaska, by all means consider other peoples experience, but don't be constrained by it.

Have a great trip, I know I will.

I participate 4-5 online forums and CC is quite a bit better than most. At least you aren't called a moron for asking a question, or "flamed" for making one choice over another. And even though CC does have commercial interests, they are very permissive of negative comments and bad experiences people have had, even with some of CC's advertisers! Many forums will kill posts that are the least bit critical of their sponsors.

The recommendations, negative comments, warnings, and advice are based on actual experience of the contributors. That is great because they aren't paid reviews by professionals that are abundant on the Internet. So with all due respect to you, it's rather unfair to be critical of people volunteering their time by paying things forward by sharing their experience. Don't misinterpret passion as a bad thing! True, there will be occasional posts that are strongly opinionated, or out in left field. But since you're new to CC, understand it's up to you to read the threads and decide on your own what to go with and what to ignore (or to use a site with paid contributions that will provide the predigested pablum of your choice).

Welcome to CC (and I really mean that!)

I came to this forum in search of of information, ideas and perhaps re-assurance mainly in respect of which excursions to take while in Alaska.

The forum is absoutely a goldmine in terms of the information available however, the constant enthusing about which excursion is better or best, how this or that should or shouldn't be done can at times be unhelpful, confusing or at worst frightening.

My advice is to choose what appeals to you most and feels right. There isn't a single best 'solution' to seeing Alaska, by all means consider other peoples experience, but don't be constrained by it.

Have a great trip, I know I will.

What I found wonderful was that many folks were passionate about their picks-and indeed had a wondeful experience---with the diversity of excursions--what I took away was I could pick almost anything and have a good experience

with that knowledge we felt safer choosing what interested us most

jmho

Paul

Just to clarify and alay any bad feeling or mis-understanding, my intention is absolutely not to be critical as I said at the start of the post, the site is a goldmine of interesting and useful information.

I have been using the site for quite some time though I rarely post. So, what I was merely trying to reflect was a personal feeling (but one that others may also experience) that while reading such a wealth of varied comments it can at times leave one feeling that they have made wrong or bad decisions and so therefore it might on occasion be better to stand back and be happy and confident with what one has chosen to do.

You are right. There are lot of helpful information on this board and CC boards in general. What works for other people may not work for another person. We just need to absorb the information and factor in our own unique situation to make the best out of this forum.

Archived