Norwegian Pearl on April 5th

blondie99

I will be sailing, along with my care attendent, on the Norwegian Pearl for 7-nights on April 5th. We visit Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Great Stirrup Cay. I have cruised before, but on RCCL on an Eastern route.

I do not yet know which ports will be tendering. Anyone know? I am a power wheelchair user and because of my custom seating needs, I need to stay in it as much as possible. I know you cannot tender a power wheelchair and do have a manual chair I can use, it's just not very comfy. Can I stay in my manual chair on the tender?

What can you tell me about the ship? I have accessible room 8103 and was told it is very nice for an inside.

What can you tell me about the islands? What do you recommend doing? If I can take my power chair out at any, what accessible things are there? I know Cozumel has dolphin programs and I'd love to do one.

Is there shopping at the piers?

Thanks!

Hi, Blondie!

I wish I knew how to direct you immediately to my review, but I haven't conquered that process yet! If you go to member reviews of the Pearl, and look for the one titled "Our Voyage on the Beautiful Pearl" - written in October 08, I think you will find that many of your questions have been answered.

If, after you've read it, you need more help. then ask away!

Cheers!

Annette

I very much doubt you would be able to stay in the chair on the tender if they use the ships boats. I was just on the Star and there was no way I could have safely remained in my chair, as it was I kept expecting it to go overboard they had it locked on the only flat surface and near the open sides of the boat.

Hi, Blondie!

I wish I knew how to direct you immediately to my review, but I haven't conquered that process yet! If you go to member reviews of the Pearl, and look for the one titled "Our Voyage on the Beautiful Pearl" - written in October 08, I think you will find that many of your questions have been answered.

If, after you've read it, you need more help. then ask away!

Cheers!

Annette

Here's the link to Annette's very nicely written review. I'm sure you'll find it helpful. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=48428

Roatan: I would definitely recommend Victor Bodden. He is very accommodating and will tailor your tour to meet your needs. We toured with him a couple of years ago and made all arrangements through email. Sometimes it took a while for a response we were able to make arrangements for a large group and had a great time. Here is a link to his website. http://www.boddentours.com/tours.htm

Belize: Tendering in Belize may be a challenge. It is a VERY long tender ride (probably 20 minutes once you're moving) traveling at a pretty high speed. The tenders we were on didn't seem as if they would really accommodate a wheelchair - especially if you need to be seated in the chair. My recommendation would be to stay onboard and enjoy having the ship to yourselves. Some of our best days have been port days when the ship is nearly empty.

Cozumel: It appears that there may be only 3 other ships in port when you are there. You may docked. Annette can probably provide you with more info about the dolphin excursion. I'm guessing she booked it through the cruise line.

We found the new shopping area at the docks in Cozumel to be quite accessible with a scooter. At the end of the docks, there is a crosswalk to the left. You can enter the shops there and there is an elevator to the second level. On the second level, there is an elevated walkway that comes across the street to the shops closest to the ship. There is also an elevator on that side of the ship to take you to the shop(s) at street level. However, there is no barrier-free exit that will take you to the sidewalk or the docks - you must use the elevator to get to the second level; cross the street using the elevated walkway; take the elevator down to street level; and cross the street at the crosswalk where there was a crossing guard.

Great Stirrup Cay: We have never been there but I think you'll find Annette's review very helpful.

I wish you the best. Have a great cruise!!

Hi guys,

Thank you for the information!

I've been trying to talk to the Access Desk and Shore Excursion people with NCL, but unfortunately they are not very helpful or friendly.

I did find out that we will tender in Belize and Great Stirrup Cay. They suggested I meet the Staff Captain (not sure who that is) when I get onboard to discuss tendering and to show him/her how securely I sit in my manual chair with both a seat belt and a chest belt. The Staff Captain will decide whether or not I can tender.

In Roatan, I would love to do the beach and dolphin excursion. Could I make arrangements with Victor Bodden to drop me off and pick me up with his wheelchair van? What kind of wheelchair van does he have?

Belize they advised me not to book anything in advance in case I am not allowed to tender. If I am allowed to, what do you suggest for excursions that I could do in my manual chair? There's a motor launch ride down the river to see wildlife that sounds interesting and maybe doable.

I heard there are a couple of wheelchair vans in Cozumel. Anyone know about these?

Thanks!

Archived