Good books to read while on a cruise

DBG258RTR

I looked at my book club's (all women in 50's) all time favorites and came up with this list:

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Water for Elephants has been lauded as a "great pick for summer", but this book is so much more. It has a depth and a substance to it that you don't usually find in your typical "beach read". As a young man, Jacob Jankowski was tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. It was the early part of the great Depression, and for Jacob, now ninety, the circus world he remembers was both his salvation and a nightmare..

A Pirate Looks at Fifty by Jimmy Buffett

This book is a travel diary based on a family trip with stops in the Caribbean and Central and South America. Presumably, it is a time of reflection for Mr. Buffet, based on the fact that he is celebrating his fiftieth birthday.

Firestorm at Peshtigo by Denise Gess

The same day as the Great Chicago Fire, October 8, 1871, a huge conflagration swept through the lumber town of Peshtigo, WI, north of Green Bay on Lake Superior. A summer's drought, a windy day, and possibly a tornado combined to create a firestorm.

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Returning to the U.S. after 20 years in England, Iowa native Bryson decided to reconnect with his mother country by hiking the length of the 2100-mile Appalachian Trail. Bill takes you through his experiences of studying the various bears he might encounter, all the camping equipment he would need, and his actual walking of the trail...all with a great sense of humor and a wonderful way of writing.

Also by Bryson:

In a Sunburned Country (he travels Australia) and

Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (a memoir), but save this one until you have read a couple of his other books.

If you are looking for easy, fast reading, two mystery series to start with the first in the series are:

A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton (her series goes through the alphabet)

Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson (food related mysteries)

Also, if you go to Amazon and start looking at books you have enjoyed, the website can start making recommendations for you based on what you have already enjoyed.

Have a great cruise...Marsha

David Foster Wallace has an essay about cruising called "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never do Again" (found in a book of the same title). I can't say that anyone on the Cruise Critic boards will share his sentiments, but it's an insightful read nonetheless.

If you're look for specific "cruise-related" reads, we've got a growing book review feature.

Edited by Dan Askin

I too can't imagine going a day without reading something! I just finished all the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz. They were fantastic. I love mysteries and vampire books! I try to find a series of books and take 2-3 with me. I also download some onto my ipod to listen to and take that. I have also downloaded books onto my laptop and taken that with me. Books do weigh down your luggage, but theres something about a book that just feels good to me. I don't have a Sony reader or the Kindle yet, but that will probably happen soon. I also have read all of Janet Evonavich books and Cornwells and most of the Patterson books. I normally leave whatever books I finish on the ship. Last time, I left 3 books.

Rubato, see you in 23days!!:D

Carl Hiaasen is really fun. Always a great read. One truly laugh-out-loud book is Christopher Moore's "Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal", (which should only be read by those not easily offended and with a sense of humor about Christian history). One of my all-time favorites.

I second the nomination of "The American Wife" -- found it engrossing. It's a good story on its own, whether or not you're interested in Laura Bush. I tend to like fun reads (as opposed to serious stuff) when cruising; recently discovered a terrific novel (you could probably say trashy novel but it really was absorbing) called "Deceptions" by Judith Michael. It's in paperback and is about identical twins who as adults change places. I also recently read Richard Russo's "Bridge of Sighs" while cruising. Took two Willa Cather books with me on a recent trip on MSC Fantasia, didn't open 'em once, LOL. But did find Joanna Trollope's latest in the onboard library.

If you have a hankering for books that are cruise-related, check out our book story. It's time for an update but all the recommendations still stand (there's a blend, fun reads, serious stuff, kids' books). It's here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=307.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I, too, read on a cruise. I can't imagine NOT reading something for an entire day let alone a whole week.

I can recommend American Wife. It loosely based on Laura Bush. I found it to be one of those books that are hard to put down.

Happy Cruising!!

I love beach reads, but stay a little closer to home! I'd recommend Nicholas Sparks. If he wrote the phone book I'd read it! He wrote (some of his more memorable titles) Nights in Rodanthe, Message in a Bottle, and A Walk to Remember. And if you've seen the movies, but not read the books...trust me...read the book!!

My next cruise is September 09 and I'm already starting to think of the books I'll bring! While the activities are great, you could just sit me next to the pool for 7 days and let me read. DH would have something to say about that though!

If you enjoy a book that makes you laugh out loud, then I recommend Chelsea Handler's 2 books. The first one is called "My Horizontal Life; A Collection of One Night Stands". The second one is "Are you there Vodka, It's Me, Chelsea". Both of these books are laugh-out-loud-funny! If you're not familiar with her, she is a comedian & has a show on E! called Chelsea Lately. Her humor is very "smart".. She's quick with her jokes. If you watch her show & end up liking it, you will like her books.

Edited by Iluvmypuggle

Another very funny female author is Jen Lancaster. She has written 3 semi autobiographical books (and another is due in May): "Bitter is the New Black", "Bright Lights, Big A$$" and "Such a Pretty Fat". She is a 30 something woman and struggling with weight issues and very funny. I laughed so hard reading one of them that I woke hubby up!

Also another recommendation for "Water for Elephants". Truly riviting.

I just bought Cruise Confidential by Brian Bruns (An american cruise ship employee)

I'm almost finished with this book. I will NEVER look at the crew the same way again. It's a light read and I found it very entertaining and "colorful".

I'm about to cruise the Conquest, one of the ships Brian Bruns worked on and I enjoyed reading about the ship as well as some of the ports I have been too.

Janet Evanovitch (though her latest novel isn't that great _"Plum Spooky)", James Patterson (Cross Country is really good), and Carl Hiaasen. There are so many good authors. I would recommend bringing something "light" to read.

I just bought all 5 of her books this week. Unfortunately, they are so good and so funny that I'm already on the last one. I couldn't put them down. Gemma Halliday is definitely one to read.

How lucky to have discovered them all at once. It was excruciating to have to wait 6 months between books (and a year this last time).

I'm sad that ALIBI IN HIGH HEELS is that last one featuring Maddie as a heroine, but her new series starts in November, and it's sort of a spinoff. Felix is the main character in this one. :D

How lucky to have discovered them all at once. It was excruciating to have to wait 6 months between books (and a year this last time).

I'm sad that ALIBI IN HIGH HEELS is that last one featuring Maddie as a heroine, but her new series starts in November, and it's sort of a spinoff. Felix is the main character in this one. :D

I'm really glad I got all 5 of the books at one time, because I couldn't put them down. Let's just say Gemma Halliday is responsible for a week's worth of take-out food my husband had to endure, the lack of housework I got done, and the stack of laundry that piled up while I was happily engrossed in her books.

And OMG, what do you mean "Alibi" was the last book with Maddie? But me and Maddie are tight. I just love her! LOL

Oh well, I'm glad to hear that Felix will carry on in Gemma Halliday's new series. He's a colorful character and I look forward to his adventures.

And OMG, what do you mean "Alibi" was the last book with Maddie? But me and Maddie are tight. I just love her! LOL

Oh well, I'm glad to hear that Felix will carry on in Gemma Halliday's new series. He's a colorful character and I look forward to his adventures.

I'm pretty much on Team Felix. ;)

I know...it's pretty sad to learn that Maddie's story is ending, but Gemma has assured me that she will make cameo appearances. Gemma's actually a fairly good friend of mine from several online writer's groups and conferences. She's pretty much Maddie...only much less ditzy. ;)

And I TOTALLY misspoke when I said Alibi. I meant Mayhem in High Heels. I'm an idiot. *mental forehead smack*

Edited by Dukegirl5577

OK, I passed along your comments to Gemma, and here's her response:

I love her. 003.gif And is it wrong that I'm tickled I'm responsible for discarded housework? hehe.

LOL Thanks for letting her know how much I enjoyed her books. (Even more than Janet Evanovich's, which says a lot.)

I will definitely be at the bookstore the day her new series comes out. Just tell her to "type like the wind", because I'll be biting at the bit if I have to wait a year in between books. That kind of torture could make a girl turn to eclairs for comfort!

Princess ships have good libraries, and there is a section for people to leave books for others to read.

If you haven't read any of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, give them a try. They are hilarious.

My friend told me I absolutely have to bring one of her books on my next cruise! In the book reviews, it does say "great beach book" Also, good to go in order with her books, but you can go out of sequence, as she bounces back & forth. Have a great trip!

Just finished this book on a land vacation to Cancun---LOVED it. Also read Carl Hiaasens book Sick Puppy. I want to read more of his books. So entertaining and you can't put them down!!

I too loved Skinny Dip and Sick Puppy, excellent light and entertaining reading. Carl Hiaasens is just right for vacation.

I too would reccomend Atlas Shrugged for a longer cruise, very classic, and timely I think, or maybe Animal Farm

Mysteries I enjoy Cornwell and Patterson too, if you like them you would probably like The Body Farm books, and Greg Iles, Martha Grimes and maybe victorian mystery writer Anne Perry, and of course there's classic Agatha Christie

I like my classics Jane Austen as well, like an old friend.

Part of cruiseing for me is getting to read more than a couple pages at a time sitting with a cold lemonade on my balcony hearing, smelling and seeing the ocean rush by........heavenly ;)

Any book besides TITANIC would be good.

Seriously, we left in December just after 9/11 and during the Shoe Bomber thing. After a 3 hr delay due to a passenger emergency on a previous ship, we finally got onboard and Titanic was playing on the channels that could not be controlled by the cruiseline.

Most everyone laughed about it at dinner.