Cruising with a Seven-Month Old

shiela

I think the PP was just reminding everyone that bfing is easy and obviously convenient in this situation. Not a dig at those who don't, but perhaps a high five to those of us who do! :D

This is your first post on cruise critic??? Why don't you find a crunchy mom website instead.

This is your first post on cruise critic??? Why don't you find a crunchy mom website instead.

didn't realize bf'ing is just a "crunchy mom" thing?? :confused: nothing she said was insulting, why did you go there?

Hmm...I guess I should have wasted my first post by saying something nasty. Darn. Oh well, I'll just use my second. :D

I generally find that individuals who react so strongly to a well intentioned post have something in their background that has caused troubles in the topic area. I am very sorry if breastfeeding is a touchy/sore subject for you. I hope that you were able to breastfeed your children if that is what you wanted.

I was unaware that people still thought of breastfeeding as a "crunchy mom" issue. I guess I am mistaken in believing that breast milk is just plain baby food. Is that a crunchy mom thing? I'm pretty sure all mothers feed their children. :confused: Is it now fair game to insult your feeding choices? I think I can guess what they were...

Thanks to this great message board all of my questions to this point have been asked and answered by other posters. Hopefully the great advice will keep on coming, and I can save my third post for something really juicy. :cool:

I am very sorry if breastfeeding is a touchy/sore subject for you. I hope that you were able to breastfeed your children if that is what you wanted.

I do think it was insensitive to comment about breastfeeding on a thread where the OP clearly isn't, for exactly the reason you stated above. You have no idea why they aren't breastfeeding, but clearly they aren't. It's wonderful that you are, but many of us can't (some have adopted, some aren't able, but in every case it's no one's business why) or choose not to, so when we ask for packing help in a thread on cruisecritic, it's insensitive and bordering on offensive to bring it up since it doesn't help at all. If someone asks about breastfeeding, or if you want to start a thread about it, go for it. No one's saying you can't discuss the wonders of breastfeeding on a cruise, it would just be nice if you didn't tell someone who isn't breastfeeding how much more wonderful it would be if they were.

Best,

Mia

that was pretty much how i read it, too, but i know that can be a touchy subject for some, so perhaps it wasn't the best phrased thing to say? :confused:

I think the PP was just reminding everyone that bfing is easy and obviously convenient in this situation. Not a dig at those who don't, but perhaps a high five to those of us who do! :D

See, if you were breast-feeding, you wouldn't have to bring all of that stuff!

I just wanted to remind everyone that Ozzie was NOT the one who originally brought up BF'ing and merely tried to defend the poster who did, perhaps to deflect any hostilities...which were then turned on her (although, I seconded her post, but the attack was made on her b/c she was a new poster and apparently not entitled to give opinions yet at this point :confused:)

I just got off a week long cruise with my 6 1/2 month old. I brought a high chair cover (one that is like a shower cap for both high chairs and shopping carts) for comfort in the high chairs. After the first night, the dining room staff always had a high chair sitting there waiting for her. I also brought an umbrella stroller, and she could sit in that in the buffet areas and such. As far as supplies, it was pretty easy. I brought a few toys, and enough diapers and wipes. I also brought a backpack carrier (an ergo) that is small but made life a lot easier. I would recommend buying the blow up duck bath for baths since most rooms dont' have tubs. You can also bring it up by the pool and you can use it for a pool (since the baby isn't potty trained, no pool time).

My best advice is to get a balcony for nap time and in the evening. I spent a lot of time in my room while the baby napped or after she was in bed. Sitting on the balcony was a life saver. Also, just set your expectations low. Out of 7 dinners, we only made it through 4 because she got tired even with an early dinner.

can you be more specific about the duck bath? We have been wondering if we need to get our daughter acclimated to a shower... but this sounds better. Good thinking.

can you be more specific about the duck bath? We have been wondering if we need to get our daughter acclimated to a shower... but this sounds better. Good thinking.

here is the duck tub...

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3331853

this is the one i have, same concept, just doesn't have the big duck head on it (looked to me like it would take up less space, but still accomplishes the same thing...)

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_681842_especially_baby_noah_ark_inflatable_tub_reviews

However, when searching online for it, I am having a hard time figuring where you can get it now...I think I got it at Target, but it is not coming up on either Target or BRU's websites (maybe you can check in-store, if you are interested in it).

Never too early to start them in the shower. As soon as my baby's lose their cord, they get to take showers! LOL Makes it REALLY easy to travel. But I also purchased a tiny little inflatable swimming pool at Target - $5. This way our 10 mo old will be able to play on deck in the water while her siblings are swimming. It will also be nice for a bath once or twice in the shower stall. And for $5, it might just stay on the ship when we get off.

ozzie - this is not the board (or thread) to discuss b-feeding. "Crunchy" mom's like to discuss that and give each other high fives for it so I'm just saying it's more appropriate there. People come on here for cruising info so your first post seemed out of place to me and I said so.

butrfly - the duck tub you found at Toys R Us was the one I used.

ozzie - this is not the board (or thread) to discuss b-feeding. "Crunchy" mom's like to discuss that and give each other high fives for it so I'm just saying it's more appropriate there. People come on here for cruising info so your first post seemed out of place to me and I said so.

Again, as I stated earlier, go back & read who first brought up the BF'ing...it was NOT ozzie. I agree that this was not the time or the place for the comment, but I am tired of everyone jumping all over ozzie for it when she is not the one who brought it up in the first place!!

Archived