Next day connecting flight

Lakey Family

We are returning from Hawaii to LAX at 9:30pm. At this time of night there are only three choices to connect back to Salt Lake City.

1. Wait until morning (9 hour layover)

2. Catch a 10:30pm flight to Vegas then switch airlines for a midnight flight home which arrives at 2am.

3. Catch a flight to Vegas and then have a 8 hour layover in Vegas.

My questions are:

1. If I have a layover in LAX will the airline keep my bags or do I need to claim them? Does it make a difference if the connecting flight is a different carrier? Are they more likely to be lost?

2. If I actually try to make two connections to get hom that night, will I need to claim/re-check my bags each time?

3. If I layover in Vegas, do I need to claim my bags?

Well, my first question is: Why on earth? Can't you just overnight in Hawaii & fly out the next morning? I would think that would be rather more pleasant.

But, to answer your specific questions: You will almost certainly need to collect your bags for an overnight layover anywhere.

You may need to collect your bags with option 2, depending on the specific airline(s), and how well they play together - your best bet, however, is to ask the airline(s) involved. Generally if they're both in some kind of alliance, you can ticket all the way through - if not, you may have to collect them at one (or both) stop(s). If all three legs are with one airline, you should certainly be able to ticket through.

Good luck!

Archived