Cruise Polls

How much do magazine surveys impact your choice of cruises?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. How much do magazine surveys impact your choice of cruises?

• I find surveys to be very helpful in choosing a cruise
    • I look at them, but I think other types of info are more helpful.
    • Surveys are silly and meaningless ways for travel publications to cover cruising.

LOL, Spongerob -- I'd love to take you up on your offer to volunteer! I'm sort of on that path, have been for a decade, at least trying out one of every class of ships. It's exhausting but someone has to :)

It's ironic that the best and worst were on the same ship but it doesn't actually surprise me. I think a good cruise is 40 percent the cruise line's "style" (i.e. ship design, features and amenities, activities) and 60 percent is the management onboard, from the captain and hotel director on down.

Maybe it's 30/70, not sure. Curious what y'all think about that....

Definitely, the management team factor makes it difficult to rate a ship. To me, what makes cruises most special are the people -- and they change.... So I always worry that, having had a great cruise and rated it as such, then the management changes and who knows.

If that makes any sense.

Carolyn

How can anyone say that one ship is "best" until they've tried them all?

Now, if you'd like a volunteer to try them all for you, I'll give you my drect number...:)

Even then, it would be tough. One of our very best, and one of our very worst cruises were on the same ship.

That's interesting about Windjammer. We've just launched a ship review for a new company (new for us) called Canadian Sailing Expeditions and it's a Windjammer-like experience. Link is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=544.

Interestingly, it's new p.r. director, Shannon Manno, was a longtime marketing executive with Windjammer...

Carolyn

Thanks, Carolyn, for asking the question.

In my opinion, polls are fun to read, but that's all.

We make our decisions based on itinerary more than anything else. Other than that I just love being on the sea and think sea days are great.

We rarely go to shows or participate in activities and often eat in the buffet at night rather than the main dining room. So, these days, a comfortable cabin preferably with a balcony and good service from all of the ship's crew are all that's important. But in many ways my favorite cruises remain the two Windjammer Barefoot Cruises DH and I took in the mid 1990s, and those ships would not have made it to the top of any poll.

That's interesting about Windjammer. We've just launched a ship review for a new company (new for us) called Canadian Sailing Expeditions and it's a Windjammer-like experience. Link is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=544.

Interestingly, it's new p.r. director, Shannon Manno, was a longtime marketing executive with Windjammer...

Carolyn

I've looked at Canadian Sailing Expeditions web site and would love to take one of their cruises. Right now that's not an option as DH is 86 and in a wheelchair.

We tried our first traditional size ship in 2006 after his third back surgery and still walking but with a walker. We booked the Norwegian Majesty out of Charleston since we could drive to the port. And on that older ship we fell in love with cruising.

Since then we've had one cruise while he was still walking; I did a transatlantic solo when he couldn't go; and we've done an Eastern Mediterranean and Alaskan cruise with him in the wheelchair. I've learned what a great way to travel cruising is for people with disabilities. Maybe that would make a good story for you to do sometime if you haven't already done it.

Beth

I look at surveys, but the results are only as valid as the input, and that CAN be manipulated. Here on the CC boards we see a bad cruise review about one ship, and then all the defenders post their own reviews. One must consider the source and then use the information to MAKE YOUR OWN INFORMED DECISION> Never rely exclusively on one opinion unless it is your own.

surveys are an interesting read but not a determining factor in deciding where on on what line I cruise. We havent yet had a bad cruise...but every ship we have cruised has at one point or another received a poor review. Its all about the experience you have...what one person (or agency) enjoys may be very different from what you like

I say this in general....

I have found poll results to be at least somewhat accurate. When you look at them, you tend to see the ships that cruisers right here on CC boast as their favorites....eg Celebrity Constellation, Mariner of the Seas, so there has to be some merit to them.

What I have found to be odd, though, is when a particular ship is high in the polls and an exact sister ship isn't even mentioned.

Part of the problem. Yippee Shippee may be on a popular itinerary and Sis Also Ran could be on a less popular route.

for those who share the general values of the CC cruiser, then these polls could be reasonably accurate. There is also 'herd mentality' where New Cruiser goes on ship raved about and comes back raving. Would this person have raved if not been preconditioned? I don't know, but, Maybe Not.

Too many factors involved for me to find value. They are Fun and that's about where it ends for me.

I don't really pay attention to them

Every poll I've ever taken they say take this poll and recieve...a discount or free offer...

makes you wonder how many really take the time to answer them thoroughly and honestly on something

they've actually experienced

I do my homework based on the type of travelers we are, the experience we want to have

and how much we are willing to pay for that experience.

I will read reviews on several traveler boards and for every 50 reviews that you dissect for frivolous whining...

I take the most objective which is usually about 4 and possibly figure them in to my decision making.

Definitely not CSE -- our reviewer was quite pointed in his comments that the ship is not good for folks with disabilities.

Have you ever considered Hebridean Princess? It does Scotland itineraries...check out our review. Definitely markets to an older passenger and is quite a special (albeit somewhat pricey) experience. Mostly UK passengers....

Carolyn

I've looked at Canadian Sailing Expeditions web site and would love to take one of their cruises. Right now that's not an option as DH is 86 and in a wheelchair.

We tried our first traditional size ship in 2006 after his third back surgery and still walking but with a walker. We booked the Norwegian Majesty out of Charleston since we could drive to the port. And on that older ship we fell in love with cruising.

Since then we've had one cruise while he was still walking; I did a transatlantic solo when he couldn't go; and we've done an Eastern Mediterranean and Alaskan cruise with him in the wheelchair. I've learned what a great way to travel cruising is for people with disabilities. Maybe that would make a good story for you to do sometime if you haven't already done it.

Beth

Archived