Atlantis LA-Mexico Oct 2009 (Mariner of the Seas)

mwwkw

Well crap... With the current Mariner Itinerary changes I'm assuming that if things continue as they are-this cruise will not be going to Mexico.

There really needs to be some statement from Atlantis about this in time to give us the ability to make a decision about staying on or not. If there has been no word by 5/19-I'm going to cancel to avoid any penalty. I'm spending too much money to be on a Mystery Cruise in October.. August-no problem... but not October...

Just a bad situation all around... :mad:

Yeah the itinerary changes for Mariner of the Seas cruises prior to June 14th announced Tuesday night was definitely a disappointing read. Haven't booked yet and not even sure I will anymore. :( Their change of port cities in the sailings prior to June 14th are pretty sad. Who goes on a cruise to visit 2 US cities out of their 3 destinations?

Boys Boys Boys-

I disagree. I think a gay cruise arriving in San Francisco sounds fabulous! Of course, I've already been on this trip three times!

Mariner of the Seas will sail a fully revised itinerary through the June 14 sailing, visiting Canada and the U.S. West Coast. Those seven-night cruises depart from Los Angeles and visit San Francisco, Victoria and Seattle (note: the ship's May 10 sailing will feature a port call in Astoria, Oregon, rather than San Francisco). Royal Caribbean has established a special help desk to assist guests booked on these cruises. The toll-free number is 800-327-6700.

I disagree. I think a gay cruise arriving in San Francisco sounds fabulous! Of course, I've already been on this trip three times!

Indeed San Francisco is the highlight of the revised itinerary. Love the city myself. But going mid-October makes me question how warm its going to be going North of San Francisco. Taking a peek at the weather in Victoria, BC on the exact same day last year (Oct 21, 2008) finds us at an average of 44.06 degrees Fahrenheit and the high at 52.7 degrees Fahrenheit. Sounds a bit too cold for a party on the top deck with people in swimwear. :p

I've canceled. I'm going to book the Atlantis Liberty cruise in January to Carib.

Too much uncertainty. I've lived in both SFO and SEA so going to either place on a cruise isn't really my idea of a vacation.

:)

I've canceled. I'm going to book the Atlantis Liberty cruise in January to Carib.

Too much uncertainty. I've lived in both SFO and SEA so going to either place on a cruise isn't really my idea of a vacation.

:)

I hear ya. I took the risk and signed up for the Atlantis Cruise. Timing is good for me. And, if the flu issue is still big come oct....well, we're all in trouble!

Now I'm getting excited again about another upcoming trip! Had a great time last week on the RSVP Mex Riviera cruise. Absolutely great!

Mark

FYI--I found this on the Atlantis Events Alumni website regarding the upcoming Mexico cruise and resorts trip in October:

At this time, there is no legitimate reason to be concerned about the recent swine flu cases that have appeared in both Mexico, the United States and many other countries throughout the world. Recent reports have claimed that this particular flu strain is not any more contagious than the common flu.

Regarding our Mexican based cruise and land resort vacations later this year, we do not currently anticipate any interruption or change to the dates or itineraries of these vacation events on account of this particular matter. Mexican officials have recently done everything within their power to contain recent outbreaks, and it should be noted that no new cases have been reported in Mexico over the last 4-5 days. It should also be noted that these cases were confined specifically to Mexico City and the surrounding areas. No cases have yet to appear in or around Puerto Vallarta, Cancun or any other ports of call on this October’s Mexican Riviera sailing. As you may know, we are currently hosting our yearly Club Med Cancun resort week and according to all accounts, there is nothing but sun, fun and surf down there this week!

Again, we do not mean to take lightly a potentially serious flu epidemic, but rest assured that Atlantis has every intention to protect the best interests of our guests. Contingencies have been put into place and if any adjustments to your reserved Atlantis vacation do need to be made, we will notify you at the earliest opportunity.

Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions regarding this matter. We look forward to hosting you aboard the Mariner of the Seas this fall!

Regards,

Logan

----------------------------------------

Logan Miller

Customer Relations

Atlantis Events, Inc.

9200 Sunset Blvd, Suite 500

West Hollywood, CA 90069

Thank you for posting that Comboy. :) I haven't sailed with Atlantis before so don't have Alumni site access yet. They really should place that somewhere on the public site. What date was that posted?

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear this! I hadn't given up on the cruise yet so fortunately I hadn't put the money elsewhere yet. I may be booking next week. :cool:

I'm sure the Oct Sailing will be fine.

I'm now being the dutiful son and taking my mother on a Southern Carib repo in November. I'm planning the Atlantis Liberty January cruise now.

Everything happens for a reason right-so my Mr. Right must be on one of these cruises! ;)

This might be a dumb question, but as a virgin cruiser I had to ask, do they limit the amount of luggage or size of luggage you can bring on board? I have a huge one...suitcase...and I usually get charged by the airline for it. Thanks for any replies...

This might be a dumb question, but as a virgin cruiser I had to ask, do they limit the amount of luggage or size of luggage you can bring on board? I have a huge one...suitcase...and I usually get charged by the airline for it. Thanks for any replies...

For this cruise, you'd go by Royal Caribbean rules. Digging around I found their FAQ question on this:

s.gif

Q: How much luggage may I bring onboard?

A: Each guest is permitted to carry a reasonable amount of personal property (including luggage) aboard the vessel; however, for your comfort and convenience, it is recommended that you limit the number of pieces you take. Keep in mind that airlines may charge for excess or oversize luggage. Charges incurred for excess or oversize baggage are the sole responsibility of the passenger. Each airline has a different limit on the amount of luggage they allow. Check with your air carrier for specific restrictions, such as allowance of pounds and any additional charges.

So I'd say if you're not paying for more than one extra bag or oversized/overwieght bag (both still within airline restrictions for paid luggage), you're definitely fine.

If one were to purchase a cabin without a roomate without intentions of being paired up, I understand it's double the rate, but are you responsible for tipping twice if you are solo in a room?

Thanks

If one were to purchase a cabin without a roomate without intentions of being paired up, I understand it's double the rate, but are you responsible for tipping twice if you are solo in a room?

You're in the exact same situation I've been very close to booking. The only cost that is doubled is the room itself. Gratuities and port charges are still only charged once in that scenario. What I wasn't expecting is that the deposits required do double. I started booking but had to stop because I thought all I needed was $800 on a solo N-Interior room based on the deposit on payment schedule (first and second deposit due upon booking because I am booking less than 180 days before the cruise). The required deposits also double. The quote I got around May 1st was $1600 deposit for a total of $2258 (making the July 20th final payment $658). I was going to book yesterday (5/16/09) now that I'm prepared to pay the correct amount, however, Atlantis is closed on weekends. I'll be booking Monday. :)

I just found out I can't do this one cuz of vacation policy at my new job. Oh well, I've done it three times already! Have a blast guys. :D

Awe. Sorry to hear that. :(

Glad to see Royal Caribbean updated their itinerary updates page mentioning the CDCs decision to reduce the Mexico "Travel Alert" to a "Travel Health Precaution for Mexico".

My cruise checklist so far:

1. Book a room all to myself - Done (Cabin 7117)
  2. Get the days off from work approved - Done
  3. Update my personal cruise page to reflect I'm booked - Done
  4. Submit my profile to Atlantis411.net page for this cruise - Done
  5. Book my flight - Done
  6. Book my hotel and plan my activities for the night before the cruise in Los Angeles - Pending
  7. Get clothes for the cruise (including "white party" apparel) - Pending
  8. Design door decoration - In Progress

Yaay! I love being in the fun phase of cruise planning. :D

Does anyone know which headliner(s) are supposed to book for this?

Also what happens if this ship doesn't fill up. Even Alaska 2 months away is not. Is there any risk (2009, hello) of this charter going bust for the first time? Lots of my friends have cancelled due to the gay tax versus the straight ones.

I am booking tomorrow.

Cheers

Gay tax? What is that? I'm sure the sailing will operate as scheduled since the ship was chartered almost two years ago and I'm sure Atlantis has paid most of the money due by now. When chartering a cruise ship, the cruise company requires full payment almost a year out-at least that's the way it was when I was travel agent, not so long ago. Still curious what a "gay tax" is though.

Does anyone know which headliner(s) are supposed to book for this?

I'd like to know too. Strangely the first person to come to mind that I would like to see... Johnny McGovern. :)

Also what happens if this ship doesn't fill up. Even Alaska 2 months away is not. Is there any risk (2009, hello) of this charter going bust for the first time? Lots of my friends have cancelled due to the gay tax versus the straight ones.

I'm sure the sailing will operate as scheduled since the ship was chartered almost two years ago and I'm sure Atlantis has paid most of the money due by now. When chartering a cruise ship, the cruise company requires full payment almost a year out-at least that's the way it was when I was travel agent, not so long ago.

Agreed. Atlantis has chartered the whole ship and it would take an act of large proportions (pandemic/war) to bail on the sailing. I think Atlantis would rather cut into profits than totally cancel the cruise. Totally canceling the cruise would only instill fear of the same in future cruises, creating a vicious cycle. Underbooked cruises, however, may mean less sailings in the future and/or bigger booking costs. Been watching the prices web page for a few months now and haven't noticed any room go from sold out to available. It may just be waitlist backfill. I know for myself, when I booked on 5/18/09 I asked for an N room on floor 8--they were sold out and I ended up on floor 7.

Lots of my friends have cancelled due to the gay tax versus the straight ones.
Gay tax? What is that?

I think he's talking about the proverbial gay tax. We're sailing on the exact same ship as straight people do (in fact the itinerary before and after this sailing on the Mariner of the Sea is identical to ours). The "gay tax" is a way to quantify the extra cost of going on an all gay cruise rather than a straight cruise with a gay group or just a straight cruise. :rolleyes:

i thought that was part of the lexicon today! "Gay Tax" jargon just means you pay to go gay with a huge premium. Gay cruises are 2-3x the cost of a straight one but that doesn't take into account the friends you're making, the camaraderie, and hopefully the entertainment.

Incidentally, anyone know who the "headliner" is supposed to be for this ship as in premium entertainment which Atlantis usually brings on?

Incidentally, anyone know who the "headliner" is supposed to be for this ship as in premium entertainment which Atlantis usually brings on?

Well that reworded question I can probably provide some kind of answer. I'm not sure whom is "usually" brought on, but looking at the PDF for last years "equivalent" cruise should give us a suspect list for regulars and/or repeats for this year.

Charo!

Yes, that Charo. She's still fabulous and the queen of cuchi-cuchi is the perfect start to an all-gay cruise.

Cashetta's Cabaret

If you thought all drag queens were the same, you haven't heard Cashetta! A multitalented performer who can really, really sing.

Gay Comedy Showcase

Atlantis presents three of the top gay and lesbian comics together on one stage. Starring Shann Carr, Jim David, and Alec Mapa.

Featured Guest Singer

We’re still deciding between two great acts...

Hypnotist Michael Swenson

Explore the creative power of your mind with Atlantis’ most unique entertainment offering. Always different, always wild.

That 80s Party

The new wave is back in black, and we’re all pretty in pink as DJ Guy Smith helps us relive the best (and worst) of 80s music.

Miss Richfield 1981 in One Flew Over the Coo Coo's Nest

The Midwest’s leading style maven returns with an all-new show, direct from Provincetown and the Rotary Club Circuit. This one you’ll have to see to believe.

Surprise Guest Star

No clue yet. Really. But look for an email clue sent before departure.

Dueling Drag Bingo

Calling balls will never be the same again when Cashetta and Miss Richfield take over.

Vibeology

The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers bring music from all over the world to life in a spectacular production show.

Shann Carr’s Last Laugh

She always has the last word, and for good reason. She’s hilarious.

DJs and Dance Parties

Abel

Miami

Wayne G.

London

Paul Goodyear

Sydney & Barcelona

Additional Performers Onboard

Matt Yee - An over-the-top cabaret singer featuring boas, wigs, and original music

Rick & Carla - Classic Piano Cabaret singing duo

Wayne Moore - Classic Piano Bar entertainer.

A few things come to mind tearing apart the PDF. The PDF was produced exactly 1 month before the cruise sailed. So even that close to the sailing, their "surprise guest star" and "featured guest singer" were not known.

This entertainment looks like it could be described as a mix of traditional ship entertainment with a twist of LBGT/LBGT friendly comedians, DJs and a hefty dose of drag queens. Sadly the only person I recognized by name alone was Charo. :rolleyes:

There was a hypnotist in my first two cruises (this is my third cruise ever) so it sounds like a cruise ship staple. Hope the show comes out better than the showing I went to last year (Carnival Glory Nov 1, 2008). He had an intersting formula for fun, but the crowd wasn't all that great. I heard the previous showing was tons better. Sad considering I went to the only "adults only" showing. :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,

I have cruised many times on straight cruises with my ex. But never done a gay cruise or solo cruise. I am a little concerned about getting a roommate that is not compatible. Anyway to prevent this?

I am a little concerned about getting a roommate that is not compatible. Anyway to prevent this?

The only way to prevent this problem is to meet your roommate before you book (and book with them) or book your room solo. Otherwise if you use the Atlantis match program, you won't know anything about them until you're on the ship.

I too had the same concerns on this cruise (all my previous cruises were with my 1st ex). I called Atlantis and confirmed that the only thing they match on is smoking preference and that there is no way you can change roommates if things don't work out. This is why I booked solo (although that makes the price jump quite a bit). An interesting note, up until 7 days before the cruise starts you can switch from solo to a roommate if you find someone. I'm not looking though because I thought about it a long time and I really don't want to feel like I had less of a vacation because I was trying to be considerate of a roommate.

This brings up the topic of finding a roommate before hand. Posting on this thread can help, but you can also check out the page on atlantis411.net for this cruise. Currently there is only one person listed looking for a roommate. If you decide to post anywhere, be sure you provide enough information about yourself--provide the same information you'd like to know about a potential roommate. For myself, I made a web site when I was in the deciding phase.

Good luck!

Neat. Fellow Texans. ;) Yeah still haven't figured out the hotel yet. :confused:

Got a confirmation paper from Atlantis in the mail today. Boy they sure want "quick" turn around on these--June 11th (next Thursday). Mailing mine tomorrow. Finally the first document from Atlantis. This definitely helps the "yes, you're really going on your first all gay cruise" feeling. :rolleyes:

Archived