Best luau in Hawaii?

wishkc

WHEN I WENT TO HAWAII A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO WE TOOK A BUS TO WALMART AND THEY HAD ADORABLE MATCHING LUAU CLOTHES, DRESSES,SHIRTS PANTS SETS. THEY WERE VERY REASONABLE AND WE FIT INPERFECTLY AT THE LUAU. I HAVEN'T WORN THEM SINCE I RETURNED BECAUSE THEY HAVE FLOWERS AND ARE NOT MY STYLE HERE BUT THEY WERE PERFECT IN HAWAII AND AT A LUAU. HAVE FUN AND ENJOY HAWAII IT IS BREATHTAKING!!!:) :p :rolleyes:

We had a great time at the marriot hotels luau on maui. where does the ship dock? The marriot is in Wailea. The men just wore hawaiin shirts and for the ladies anything goes as long as you put a flower in your hair or a lei around your neck.:D

Old Lahaina Luau on Maui is frequently mentioned as the best and most authentic of all the luaus. We went there earlier this year and had a wonderful time, so much so that we're going again in February 2005.

We wore shorts and a Hawaiian shirt to the luau, as did about everyone else. Very informal.

To get there from where the ship is depends on where your ship is. Some tender into Lahaina, in which case it's a few short blocks walk from the pier, right on the ocean. Some ships port in Kahului, where you'll have to have a car to get to Lahaina, about 30 minutes away.

• 2 weeks later...

I've wondered the same thing about the Pacific Paradise luau arranged through the ship. It wasn't my first choice, but I'm not planning to rent a car in Maui, and it may be the only excursion that all six in my group want to attend, so it'll be fun. I'd like to hear from others who have been, though. Was the food, entertainment and setting nice?? Mahalo!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bobby

Not only have I been to the Paradise Cove Luau, but I am a huge Patriots fan!

What's your question about it?

p.s. Its not IN Honolulu, but 30 minutes drive over to the other side of the island from Honolulu.

Lots of people have done PCC - and many people recommend a visit. There is a lot to do there and you may want to plan on spending some time at the PCC. They do offer a luau as well but remember that it's operated by the Church of Latter-Day Saints and they do not offer alcohol.

Spleen

OK just got back last week! We did the Paradise Cove Luau and enjoyed it thoroughly. You go about 5 p.m. and they show you local ways to make headbands....leis...and have your chance at throwing a spear at a target and the such. The entertainment was great! It took us about 1 hour to get their from Waikiki because of traffic. Our daughter is in the military and got us discount tickets which helped. However, enjoyed our time there...the guy hula/luau guys seemed to really enjoy their time on stage.

The Polynesian Cultural Center was interesting. We took it all in and glad we went. Spend about 3 hours there. Would not want to drive back to Honolulu area at night after a luau! So we just enjoyed our drive over, our time there, and drive back.

Sea Life Park was OK...and was one of the things open on Thanksgiving Day. The USS Missouri was fun also.

Any other questions...I will give you my humble opinion.

Lou

WOW! THanks for the info everybody!

Teamfour - the Old Lahaina Luaua is in Maui - right? If we do the Haleakala Crater Bike Ride from the top of the Valcano we wont have time to do that luaua and was thinking it best to go in Honolulu since we will be there really late.

cruisingrightalong - which tickets did you get for the Paradise Cove Luaua? There are three different ones you can buy with a different level of experience at easc. One is buffet only, one is buffet and show and then there is the BIG KAHUNA where you get dinner served table side, front row seats or the Alii seats for the show and of course all the pre-dinner shows. We are thinking of the big $100 tickets but are looking for perspective on which is worht the price! THanks for your help!

We did the special package at PC Luau and loved it. We didnt do the top notch one...that one comes with special food....but we got table service, special seating, full bar, pictures, souveniers and special leis. It was our anniversary so in that regard I say it is worth it, But the food wasnt different from the buffet. For me it was worth not going through the buffet line. Others find the extra cost not worth it so you have to decide. I liked the niceties (especially the bar tab being gone)

Sorry for the late post...gone all weekend....the Paradise Cove Luau...we did the front table seats with table service....you can sit in the Royal Box...we didn't....the front table service was great...the middle section seems a bit far away and the buffet ... nope not while I am on vacation!

So go with the table service.....do you know anyone in the service or lives local....they can get $$$$ off the tickets.

Lou

Its a huge discount. We are military....I think for the $100 seats, its $75 but that was a year ago and my figures may be off....but its a lot....and ask them about other attractions...a lot are 1/2 off with tickets pre-bought at the NEX or on any base.

Matter of fact we got the following discounts due to military while there:

Luau-$100 tickets were $71 apiece

Polynesian Cultural Center-$39 tickets were $26 apiece

Sea Life Park-$26 tickets were $13 apiece

USS Missouri-$16(?) tickets were $8 apiece

and there may have been something else....don't remember at this stage of the game!

Lou

Archived