Dining Solo on Princess - Advice Please!

jeanaa

I am traveling solo on the Diamond Princess in January, and although I am a fairly independent person, and excited about the cruise, I am definitely stressing about dining options. I booked traditional dining (late seating) but I don't know if this is the best thing to do. Last time I did this, despite the fact that I requested to be seated with others either traveling solo or "odd numbered parties" I ended up with three couples celebrating their anniversaries. They were all great, but it was a little awkward for me. And worse - one night, each of the three couples must have booked alternative dining and I was at the table alone. Needless to say, it was a little uncomfortable! Should I consider PC dining and just show up and hope for the best? Also, for the alternative dining rooms , -will I be placed at a table for one, as I suspect most people who book these restaurants request a table specifically for their dinner party. Please help! Thanks!

When you book, ask for the biggest table you can get. (Celebrity has tables for 10.) If you are at a couples only table, ask the maitre d' to switch you to another table on the first night. You might even go down before dinner on the first night to see what kind of arrangements you got and try to switch then if you are not happy. And most of all, don't be self concious. As a former half of an anniversary couple, I can tell you there were times I would have been sitting there envying you being free to travel alone! I had a lot more fun on my solo cruise than I did on my couple cruise. When I cruised alone, I ended up really enjoying going to the formal dining room for breakfast and lunch. At least on Celebrity they seat you together to make up tables. I met a lot of great people that way. Enjoy your cruise!

Why not ask the Maitre'D upon embarking the ship to sit you with "other" single people. They are all aware that there are "solo" people on board and they will assign a table for single folks only. I seem to travel alone all the time and this works for me. Then again, if i don't feel like going to the Dining Room, then I do other alternative Dining. Good lUck and have fun!......:)

Just want to say that the advice you have been given is GREAT ! Be prompt in your request. You usually can't be moved the first night out, but I have found that your request, being for one person, will be a relief compared to other requests he has to deal with. You don't have to recite an epistle, he'll know what the problem is. Don't be bashful .

Archived