Plans for San Juan? *all advice welcome*

BlondeLuva

Hi,

My 18 year old son and I are arriving in San Juan Feb 19th at 11PM. Due to a Priceline.com screw up (on my part), we are spending the first night at the Courtyard by Marriott Miramar hotel.

So we get in very late and will go there. Not sure if there is a late night resturant open in the area or not. Isn't Senor Frogs open very late? Or is it too far away? (this is of interest to my son)

The next two days, Feb 20th and 21st, we will be staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde. Since we will spend some part of the morning having to leave the Miramar location and go check in at the Isla Verde one, I would think this would be the best day to spend afterwards going to OSJ and touring the forts, city, rum distilleries, shopping, etc.. etc..

On the 21st I would like (if possible) to take my son on the zipline tour. Are there tour operators that do pick up at hotels for this? Or would there be operators to offer the rainforest/Luquillo beach combo? Or should I just make plans to rent a car for one day? If do have to get a car... how long of a travel time is it from the Isla Verde hotel to these destinations. (I admit part of the desire to use a tour operator is so I can sleep on the way there and back.)

One thing that I really REALLY like to do is photography and would like to get a lot of photos of OSJ at both day and night time. Is reaching the OSJ area pretty easy after dark? I don't want to walk for miles seeing that I will be lugging around my camera bag of lens and tripod.

Many thanks in advance for taking time to read my post and reply.

my family is doing a rainforest tour. it is walking and riding in i think a truck or something. but it is hours long and recommended by HAL cruise lines. your son might like that there should alot of great photos

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you thing that "riding in a truck" in the rain forest means one of those "safari trucks" then you have the wrong island.

You'll be in a typical tour bus going up the paved road into the rain forest, at which point they'll have you get out at a couple spots and probably take you for a short walk on Caimitillo Trail.

@BlondeLuva

Let's see if I can answer some of your questions ...

Señor Frogs -- according to their web site, they're open 10am - 1am. It's located behind the Sheraton in Old San Juan. It's not walking distance from where you'll be staying, so you'll either need to have a car or grab a taxi ($12 each way).

Old San Juan -- there's lots to see here. Forts, shopping, restaurants, museums, the Earth from Above photo show (free), the BODIES Exhibition, the cathedral, the city wall. Take a look at the Old San Juan primer in our vacation guide for ideas and a DIY walking tour.

Zipline / Rainforest -- you have a couple different options for zipline. We've gone with La Marquesa canopy tour a number of times. They're an excellent operation. Everyone there is friendly and helpful. I don't think they provide any transportation. They're located about 30 minutes south of the San Juan area in La Marquesa Forest Reserve (not the "rain forest").

Another option, closer to El Yunque and Luquillo, is Aventura Canopy Tour. We haven't tried them yet, so I can't comment on their operation. But considering the other things you want to do in the same day, they might be easier.

For the rain forest, you'll want to rent a car and use our DIY rain forest guide for driving directions, trail descriptions and a trail map. Having a car will make it easy to go to Balneario Monserrate in Luquillo after you're done in the rain forest.

But, honestly, now that I think about it trying to do all that (zipline, rainforest and beach) in one day before nightfall is going to be tough. You'll be rushing at every stop without a real chance to enjoy what's around you.

Archived