onboard currency exchange rates

Sydneyite

If I bring some U.S. travellers cheques onboard and exchange them for Euros or Turkish money, what commission does the HAL charge?

Someons said between 10 and 20%. Is that true? We're bringing some Euros in cash and a travel (debit) card from Australia with Euros on it plus our credit cards but also plan to bring some TCs.

Also is it impossible to change TcS onshore at banks or money changers if our passports are onboard? Has anyone done this in Europe? Would a photocopy of our passport and a driver's licence be enough ID? does anyone know?

Marguerite (sydneyite) :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
If I bring some U.S. travellers cheques onboard and exchange them for Euros or Turkish money, what commission does the HAL charge?

Someons said between 10 and 20%. Is that true? We're bringing some Euros in cash and a travel (debit) card from Australia with Euros on it plus our credit cards but also plan to bring some TCs.

Also is it impossible to change TcS onshore at banks or money changers if our passports are onboard? Has anyone done this in Europe? Would a photocopy of our passport and a driver's licence be enough ID? does anyone know?

Marguerite (sydneyite) :cool:

We have exchanged money (U.S. TC's) to EURO's on board, I just remember the exchange rate was high, but on shore exchanges mean your flashing cash, not a good idea. Remember, if you exchange too much and convert back, you take another beating. Also, have exchanged U.S. TC's in Amsterdam with U.S. Driver's License. We try to use a credit card for all but small monetary needs. This time I plan to buy EURO's at my bank at $2.50 U.S./transaction plus $1.37 per EURO (changes daily) didn't sound bad. Hope I've helped.

Dan

Archived