Tabyana or risk BIBR for short port?

snorkelTone

Hello -- I am excited about our cruise (1st timer) 12/4 on the NCL Sun. I'd appreciate some advice about the snorkel excursions (I dive but plan to stay just snorkeling with the friend I'm going with). My main question is about Roatan.

So far my plan is:

Cayman: Captain Marvin (hmm...hope there's enough time for this and that I can get off an early tender in time (only there 8-3)) - are they really good about getting us back in time? I am easily stressed! What is ship/local time there in December?

Roatan: right now did Tabyana Beach snorkel through cruise line essentially for fear we'll miss the boat (or at least be stressed all day about it). Other options for basically the same price include BIBR, Inn of Last Resort, etc. With those operators I get to boat snorkel, but with Tabyana I'm limited to shore snorkeling. That seems like the only real difference...SO, the question is, how is the Tabyana snorkeling really? We don't need to do anything else but snorkel and are real reef enthusiasts. We are only in Roatan 11-7 and I don't have a feel for how long it takes to get off the boat, get through traffic, get driven to resort, onto boat, etc. and also how early we have to be at dock to get back on cruise ship. Are there other options like getting over to Tabyana through cruiseline (so that it is all their problem and their responsibility to get me back on the cruiseship) but then leave from there and beach snorkel in other locations or even take a boat trip from Tabyana? Is it safe to snorkel way out there (past the ropes)? Where exactly should we go? I know I can get to Tabyana cheaper on my own but the idea is to give up that responsibility to the cruise line.

Belize: Coral Breeze

Cozumel: Eagle Ray Divers

Any other comments? I feel ok about the other days but worry that we'll wish we did BIBR or the others instead of the cruise excursion to Tabyana.

Thanks for reading this long post.

We have no clue what BIBR is but have snorkeled many times at Tayabana [sp?] Beach. It has to be the best snorkeling spot we have experienced - at least as good as any other. The depth of the water goes from zero to probably 30'+ in some places. Lots of colorful fish & coral to see here ! One time there I saw an lobster & octopus having a territorial battle for a place in the coral.

When you need a rest, you can get out of the water, do the food buffet line, have a cool one & head back into the water. Or, get a free beach lounge & enjoy the sun or shade. Or, walk down the beach to The Mayan Princess & have a cool one there.

We did go to Fosters one time & our group ended up walking down the beach to Tayabana to snorkel. Nothing to see in the water at Fosters when we were there.

I'd suggest that you take along a bug spray like OFF as the no-seeums can get bad there.

Good luck !

Bill in sunny FL

PS: Coral Breeze in Belize is a super choice.

Archived