transatlantic info needed

candr

We're looking into the September transatlantic on the Connie and are wondering if it is too many days at sea and if it is the same basic activities each day. We have cruised many times on Celebrity and love it but never had more than two consecutive days at sea. Any input from past trans cruises would be appreciated. Also I haven't been able to find any reviews on past trans trips. Any links/references would be appreciated. Thanks.

We are booked on the Constellation Sept. 7. There is a large posting going in the Roll Call section of the boards. It looks like a great group, many of us have sailed with one or more people on the posting before. Please look up the posting and spend some time reading it, it might help you make a decision.

Now, to answer the question about the sea days - It really depends on what you like. We like sea days best so crossings are perfect for us, we get to see a few ports in Europs and then spend the rest of the time relaxing onboard. Celebrity provides some wonderful lecturers during the crossings, and there are always activities going on.

Here's a link to a crossing we did on Millennium last year.

http://cruisediva.com/millennium6.htm

Sue

Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - April 25, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation Transatlantic 9/7/04

Infinity Panama Canal 4/17/05

I'm also booked on the Sept. Crossing, and wouldn't book a cruise that went to a different port everyday or two. I think a lot of it is personal preference. I find that the sea days have their own rhythm, and it's when I truly relax. I think sometimes we forget that the true luxury of being on vacation is opting for the grilled cheese and tomato soup over the caviar, or napping the afternoon away instead of another lecture or activity. That's the advantage of a longer transatalntic. You still have enough time to take advantage of all that the ship does offer, and not feel like a "day off" is a missed opportunity. Oh, and for full disclosure, of 16 cruises, this will be my tenth crossing. Join us!!

Andrew

Blazer Boy

Just to offer a different perspective, we took our first transatlantic last summer (the maiden voyage of the Serenade of the Seas), and I brought a stack of books thinking it would be the most relaxing cruise. Wrong! There were so many more activities offered on a daily basis than any other cruise we've enjoyed, and the quality and variety were too tempting to pass up! So, IMHO, I think a crossing can be as active or as relaxing as you wish...

Enjoy!

RCI Mariner – E Carib – Holidays 03

RCI Serenade – Transatlantic – Maiden 08/04/03

Star Princess – Mex Riviera – Holidays 02

Dawn Princess – Alaska – July 02

NCL Star – Hawaii – June 02

RCI Rhapsody – W Carib – Holidays 01 (back2back)

RCI Explorer – E Carib – Holidays 00

NCL Sea – W Carib – Holidays 99

We sailed Constellation transatlantic (Barcelona/Ft. Lauderdale) during its inaugural season. The five days spent crossing from Funchal to St. Thomas were wonderful - nothing but blue skies and calm seas. You're in for a real treat!

Some of us enjoy the shipboard experience more than the ports. So we actually prefer itineraries that give us lots of sea days. Those intineraries typically include two to four daily lectures as part of the "enrichment series" plus the normal sea-day activities only few of which vary significantly from day to day.

If you're worried about boredom, you may not be one of those people.

Another great thing about a transatlantic such as the one in Sept from Dover to New York is the great way you get 5 or 6 hours back during your cruise. Nothing beats a good old 25 hour day. Sleep that extra hour and still not miss a thing.

Deb

We were debating between the Connie and Millie for last fall, the Millie won out as it had more sea days and less ports than the Connie and the arrangement of port and sea days led to a more relaxing atmosphere. Now when we take a 7 day Caribbean cruise, we call it a long weekend and stay aboard the ship while in port.

We took our first transatlantic 9/30/01 on the Millie and loved it so much, we now plan on doing it every other year.

We got a great deal on the Horizon adults only cruise to the Western Caribbean. We stayed on the ship the whole time. When the seas were rough so we couldn't tender in Grand Cayman and the Captain announced that we would not be stopping but would have an extra sea day, my hubby let out a cheer. He really didn't want to do that cruise because of all the ports, but the price was too good to pass and I reminded him we didn't have to get off.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

Archived